March 28, 2024, 11:01:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Automating Operator Frequencies - Logic Pro X  (Read 3748 times)

kams_tcp

Automating Operator Frequencies - Logic Pro X
« on: November 02, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »
Hi

If I try to automate an operator's fixed frequency value in Logic the resulting playback creates a stepped playback rather than smoothly raising/lowering the output pitch. Is this something that can be avoided?

Thanks

LBH

Re: Automating Operator Frequencies - Logic Pro X
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 11:32:51 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I'm on Windows.

Can you post a audio example?

Are you drawing the automation in your DAW? If so, and you are hearing the stepping on playback, then that can be about the automation resolution in your DAW.

kams_tcp

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 12:18:59 am »
Hi - thanks for reply. Yeah - drawing a simple automation between two values for the fixed pitch for operators creates a stepped playback.

Video example here:

https://youtu.be/Lk7jEj_4x7g

LBH

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 02:05:45 am »
In some cases stepping can be about missing or poor smoothing in Arturias synths.
But in this case it's - as far as i can tell - not about that.
A modulation like the one you do in your video sounds quite smooth in my DAW.
It actually sounds like you have some kind of quantizing going on. Or perhaps it can be about the automation resolution in your DAW. I can't help with Logic.

If you in generel does'nt have the same behavior with synths from any manufactors, then it can be a DX7 Logic related issue. In that case i suggest you contact Arturia support.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:25:57 pm »
Logic user and DX7V owner here :-)

Unfortunately I'm at work at the moment. I'll have a look this evening when I am back home (currently it's 12:50pm here) and i'll report back.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

mkfx

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 07:09:12 am »
I wonder if it's the same problem that I reported here
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=102984.0

Though in Cubase it shows the stepping.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 04:09:59 pm »

Which excact operator parameter are you trying to automate? The operator level, the freq course or the freq fine?
Is it the same automation parameter as the OP automate in the attached video and in fixed mode?

Which OS do you use?
Which plugin type do you use?

mkfx

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 05:11:38 pm »

Which excact operator parameter are you trying to automate? The operator level, the freq course or the freq fine?
Is it the same automation parameter as the OP automate in the attached video and in fixed mode?

Which OS do you use?
Which plugin type do you use?

"I probably should have posted a follow up.  Arturia acknowledged the bug.  Here's the email.

Thank you for the provided information.

So, i was indeed able to observe the issue you're referring to and i just transmitted your file and all the provided information to be Test and Dev team colleagues for them to investigate these problems further.

We will now work on it and i hope that my colleagues will be able to fix this in the forthcoming update / hot-fix."

That was sent in November, from Arturia support.

I haven't been updated on any progress.

LBH

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 06:44:49 pm »
@mkfx
Thanks for the informations.

But as you wrote, in your previous post, then you wonder, if your problem is the same as in this thread. Like you - i still wonder.

With the availble informations it's not possible for anyone in this thread to say, if your confirmed issue is the same.
You have clearly been given Arturia some informations and material, that we don't have.

I would appreciate, if you answered the questions i asked.
Was your about the Fixed Freq parameter, that this thread is about? If it's not, then Arturia have'nt confirmed it.
Which OS do you use? And was the issue DAW related (You used older Cubase's, and not Logic)?

In short, have Arturia confirmed the issue reported in this thread (which issue is confirmed?), for all OSs and DAWs?  And was your issue the excact same issue?

It would help others to know.

BTW: I don't think you shall exspect to get updated, even if you might be. But you can tell, when DX7 V is being updated.

EDIT: I have just again tried to modulate the FREQ FIXED automation parameter like in the OPs video. In my DAW Studio One 3 Proffesionel. Windows 10. Again i don't get that stepping. So unless the OP do something, that i don't and can't see in the video, then it's not a generel issue, and perhaps even not a DX7 V issue. EDIT END
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:41:53 pm by LBH »

mkfx

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 11:41:01 am »
@mkfx
Thanks for the informations.

But as you wrote, in your previous post, then you wonder, if your problem is the same as in this thread. Like you - i still wonder.

With the availble informations it's not possible for anyone in this thread to say, if your confirmed issue is the same.
You have clearly been given Arturia some informations and material, that we don't have.

I would appreciate, if you answered the questions i asked.
Was your about the Fixed Freq parameter, that this thread is about? If it's not, then Arturia have'nt confirmed it.
Which OS do you use? And was the issue DAW related (You used older Cubase's, and not Logic)?

In short, have Arturia confirmed the issue reported in this thread (which issue is confirmed?), for all OSs and DAWs?  And was your issue the excact same issue?

It would help others to know.

BTW: I don't think you shall exspect to get updated, even if you might be. But you can tell, when DX7 V is being updated.

EDIT: I have just again tried to modulate the FREQ FIXED automation parameter like in the OPs video. In my DAW Studio One 3 Proffesionel. Windows 10. Again i don't get that stepping. So unless the OP do something, that i don't and can't see in the video, then it's not a generel issue, and perhaps even not a DX7 V issue. EDIT END

I get stepping in the automation of the operators 1-6.  Cubase, OS X 10.11. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines