March 28, 2024, 06:30:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Update to V7 from Analog Lab 4  (Read 2988 times)

BenShirley

Update to V7 from Analog Lab 4
« on: October 29, 2020, 04:36:53 am »
Hello all,

Bought the 88 MkII and really loving everything it does with Cubase. Love Analog 4 sounds as well.
Is it worth the upgrade to V7? Of course i want everything but ....ya.
New to the forum as well.
Thanks for any insights.

LBH

Re: Update to V7 from Analog Lab 4
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 01:00:50 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Congratulation with your new controller.

The full applications give you the possibility to edit and create sounds in all details - including inside Analog Lab - that you can't do with Analog Lab alone.

Also you can use the individual applications individually outside Analog Lab.

I personally like and wan't the above.

I have no idea, what you think will make it worth an upgrade to V-Collection, OB-Xa V and Pigments.

levets

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 11:59:04 pm »
Hello all,

Bought the 88 MkII and really loving everything it does with Cubase. Love Analog 4 sounds as well.
Is it worth the upgrade to V7? Of course i want everything but ....ya.
New to the forum as well.
Thanks for any insights.

Hi Ben,

I just bought V Collection 2 days ago and have been having a blast with it.

Just now I noticed I was able to click an instrument and fully edit it, so I freaked out thinking I had paid an extra 50 bucks when I didn't need to.

But based on the response to your post already, I realized, yes, that's something you can't do in AL4.

So basically, AL4 might be seen as a "lite" version of the VC where you only get certain presets and can't fully edit the sounds. All you can change are the 19 or 20 parameters shown as knobs and sliders - and not all presets use all of those knobs and sliders.

If you grab the 3 OSC patch, you might not be able to change Resonance for example, or you can't turn on the Arpeggiator the full version has.

If you have V Collection, apparently it "unlocks" the synths within AL4 so you CAN get to all these additional parameters - you can click on the icon for the synth - the MiniV in this case - and it opens up a window just like the standalone version so you can edit it fully (at least as far as I can tell) within AL4.

The only thing it looks like you can't really do within AL4 for this is assign any controls to a controller - you're limited to the specific ones they've already assigned for you in either version of the software. But, since you get the standalone versions with VC7, you can actually go in and assign whatever you want. {Edit - I was wrong - in the "standalone"  - meaning a plug in but not within AL4 - you can map anything but within AL4 you can still only map the 20 or so things to a controller, but you can still change the parameters that aren't those 20 by doing it on screen - so that's something you don't get with the "lite" version of AL4]

For me, being able to edit all the parameters beyond the 19 or 20 they give you was very important, so for the extra 50 bucks it was worth it to me.

This kind of makes AL4 much more powerful to me, because now I know this it's a lot more useful (since you can layer synths, add the additional layer of effects and mixer, etc.).

Now, let me figure out this CAPTCHA so I can post this...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 05:33:35 am by levets »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:54:00 am »
It's true there are more presets availble, if you own the full V-Collection. than in Analog Lab alone. They all will be availble in Analog Lab too. That's a point ii yes.

Thanks for your other points and inputs too Levets.

The only thing it looks like you can't really do within AL4 for this is assign any controls to a controller - you're limited to the specific ones they've already assigned for you in either version of the software.
This is'nt entirely true when you own individual full applications. There are ways to add other parameters from the individual applicationsto to be controlled in Analog Lab, that you does'nt have, if you only have Analog Lab.
When you in example open a application inside Analog Lab, then you get a ASSIGN button availble, that make it possible to control other parameters in the full application, than the ones you have avaible, if you only have Analog Lab.
Please read the manual section "3.10. Macros and Controller Assignments".

Also in some cases you can assign controls in the full applications, and they will then also work when you are in Analog Lab. I have in example assigned my controllers X/Y pad to control the B3 V2s Leslie Speed in the full application, and that assignment alsoo work in Analog Lab, without i do anything in Analog Lab.  But the above ASSIGMENT is perhaps the normal and official way to add more control.

levets

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 05:38:25 am »

This is'nt entirely true when you own individual full applications. There are ways to add other parameters from the individual applications to to be controlled in Analog Lab, that you does'nt have, if you only have Analog Lab.
When you in example open a application inside Analog Lab, then you get a ASSIGN button availble, that make it possible to control other parameters in the full application, than the ones you have avaible, if you only have Analog Lab.
Please read the manual section "3.10. Macros and Controller Assignments".

Also in some cases you can assign controls in the full applications, and they will then also work when you are in Analog Lab. I have in example assigned my controllers X/Y pad to control the B3 V2s Leslie Speed in the full application, and that assignment alsoo work in Analog Lab, without i do anything in Analog Lab.  But the above ASSIGMENT is perhaps the normal and official way to add more control.

Thanks I realized my mistake. But I thought I did notice too that something mapped in the individual VST "carried over" to AL4 so that's kind of interesting.

I could program say, my expression pedal to CC11 and control something in the non-AL4 version, and it still works in the AL4 version and it doesn't take up one of the control elements on my controller. That's kind of handy because for some like the Organs, that CC is already mapped to the volume (swell) pedal. But for others it's not mapped, and I'd like it to be. So now I know I could go in and map it to the pedal, and it'll still work in AL4 as well.

I edited my previous post about not being able to control the other stuff though so future readers won't be confused.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:39:45 pm by levets »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines