May 08, 2024, 09:21:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Wait Load for all shift functions and scene mode  (Read 1268 times)

Andrew Henderson

Wait Load for all shift functions and scene mode
« on: October 26, 2020, 01:06:14 pm »
The Wait Load functionality is perfect, for being able to switch patterns with perfect timing, only after the current patterns is playing, but what bothers me, is how the Wait Load functionality appears to be limited to only pattern switching and isn't working for switching any other functions, or scenes.

When it comes to the shift functions, they are instantaneous and unless one has impeccable timing, it is impossible to switch playback modes, with perfect timing.  Take for instance the transposing, the inverting, etc.  It would be great if the wait load function could be appended to these functions as well, so they will only take place, after the end of the playing pattern (if that is what the user chooses to do).  I may want to invert the playback of a pattern, but not on the spot and only after the current pattern is done playing.  I could initiate the invert function, but it won't actually take place, until the start of the next loop around.  This would allow us to better plan our performances and not have to worry about how, or when we do our function changes.  It could be done with perfect timing, every time, just like when we change patterns, with the wait load function, enabled.

Same goes for Scenes.  Scenes change on the spot.  While this may be good for some, I think it would be most beneficial to have the wait load function applied here as well, where scenes can change, but only after the current one is done being played.  This would allow us to change scenes with perfect timing and not have to worry about manually doing it, which is likely to not be 100%, in time.

If there is a way to do exactly what I am describing above, please do let me know.  If not, does anyone else not see this as being a beneficial enhancement to the wait load functionality?  To be quite honest, above is how I expected it was going to work right out of the box.  I was very disappointed to realize that this isn't the case.  I have tried to work with it, but every time I use the unit, it just feels unnatural to me, so figured it was time to speak up, about it.

synthcreep

• Apprentice
Re: Wait Load for all shift functions and scene mode
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 04:14:06 pm »
Scenes definitely support changing at the end of "n" bars with the proviso that a "bar" has no relation to the length of patterns in a given project.  A "bar" for the wait / load is strictly based on the global time division setting.

I ran into this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TCY7-nspS0

I brought it up with support and was told that it was not a bug.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:48:55 pm »
Scenes definitely support changing at the end of "n" bars with the proviso that a "bar" has no relation to the length of patterns in a given project.  A "bar" for the wait / load is strictly based on the global time division setting.

I ran into this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TCY7-nspS0

I brought it up with support and was told that it was not a bug.

I actually remember watching this video, but completely forgot about it.  What I am experiencing on my end, is exactly what you are showing in your video, where the scene doesn't seem to start when expected, which would be the end of the current pattern playing.  I fully expected it to to behave 100% like it does when switching patterns, where it would only switch at the end of the playing pattern and not before hand, like it is currently doing.  This completely negates the point of being able to select scene changes, at the perfect timing of only taking place at the end of the current patterns playing.

So, perhaps I am just not understanding the way you wrote the above, but you said it definitely supports what I am after.  How exactly do I go about figuring out how this works?  How can I get the timing to be as expected, instead of what I am actually getting?  I don't care if sound daft. I apologize if so, I just want to learn this properly, so I can take advantage and use it, without frustrations and disappointments.

If this isn't a bug, it is certainly a very poor implementation, to say the least.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.  Thank you.

EDIT... In going through the utility menu again, I seem to have my time div set to exactly what I want, which is 1/4 and 4.  I also notice that this works perfectly fine on patterns, as the pattern setting is set to 'at end'.  The options for scenes and projects are only 1-4 bars.  Why can't there be an 'at end' function for the scenes/projects, so it can operate the same as patterns do?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 06:56:58 pm by Andrew Henderson »

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:20:10 pm »
The issue is that wait / load does not know about any specific pattern's length, it is freewheeling based on the global time division.  When you are switching scenes using wait / load you are switching in relevance to that global bar length setting and not anything specific to your patterns.

If you leave everything at the default and only use patterns 1 bar long and set the scene wait / load to 1 bar it would behave like you want because everything would be using the same metric.  The problem is that if you set you the global wait / load to 1 bar but use a 4 bar pattern, the KSP will switch as soon as it reaches the end of the current global bar regardless of whether you are at the end of the current pattern or not.  This becomes more of a mess when you change the time division of a pattern since the pattern's bar length is no equivalent to the global bar length. In my video that is why scenes are switching in the middle of bars.  Unless you are a rhythmic savant I expect scenes would become unusable with polyrhythmic projects.

It's dumb but that's how it works.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:26:10 pm »
The issue is that wait / load does not know about any specific pattern's length, it is freewheeling based on the global time division.  When you are switching scenes using wait / load you are switching in relevance to that global bar length setting and not anything specific to your patterns.

If you leave everything at the default and only use patterns 1 bar long and set the scene wait / load to 1 bar it would behave like you want because everything would be using the same metric.  The problem is that if you set you the global wait / load to 1 bar but use a 4 bar pattern, the KSP will switch as soon as it reaches the end of the current global bar regardless of whether you are at the end of the current pattern or not.  This becomes more of a mess when you change the time division of a pattern since the pattern's bar length is no equivalent to the global bar length. In my video that is why scenes are switching in the middle of bars.  Unless you are a rhythmic savant I expect scenes would become unusable with polyrhythmic projects.

It's dumb but that's how it works.

Thanks so much for your further explanation.  This is very dumb.  Downright unusable, except in the most basic of projects.  If I only have 1 bar/16 step patterns fine, but If use 32/64 step patterns, it doesn't work and that is ridiculous.  Like you mentioned, Poly metric patterns are completely out of question, too.  So much for taking advantage of that functionality, for the drum track.

Do you think/agree that the 'at end' functionality found in the patterns menu, would help with this, instead of only '1 bar'?

Surely this can be further improved.  There is very little chance, anyone is finding this current implementation, to be valuable.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines