April 16, 2024, 11:51:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Random start position each time a key is hit (Sample Engine)  (Read 1190 times)

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
Random start position each time a key is hit (Sample Engine)
« on: October 08, 2020, 03:59:40 am »
Hello folks

Still digging (deep!) into Pigments and I was wondering if there a way to have a random Start position each time a key is hit? I can assign a random LFO to the Start position but the position continues to randomly move when the key is on and released. I would rathe have a random Start position only when I hit a key instead. Possible?

Thanks guys for your time  :)

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
Re: Random start position each time a key is hit (Sample Engine)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 08:52:15 am »
Hi !

You can use any of the three Random sources for that.

Sample & hold with White noise as source and "Poly KBD" for Trigger would be the obvious choice if you want purely random values, but you can also use the two other modes:

-Binary (if you want to alternate between two specific values)
-Turing (if you want a random that is a little bit more "musical" and sequenced)

As well as the LFOs like you mentioned. In that case, set their rate mode to hz and the rate to the minimum. That should be very slow, slow enough to prevent it from changing value before the next key press.

Best !

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 07:35:33 pm »
Wonderful input!  ;D

Thanks alot, I can't wait to try it as soon as I have the chance. The Poly KBD trigger in the random source is something I haven't experiment with yet. That's a really good idea.

Thanks again for the quick tip! Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:06:09 pm by Neon Breath »

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 02:45:27 am »
@Vic-tor: just wanted to update you and confirm that you helped me greatly! That tip with the Poly KBD in the random source works like magic. Fantastic, exactly what I was looking for. Using this with the granular on long field recording or pads create very organic moving soundscapes, man this is great!

Thanks alot again for this and hopefully, this will inspire others too :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 02:47:28 am by Neon Breath »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines