March 29, 2024, 12:37:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How can I transpose the keyboard  (Read 7558 times)

fyofranz

How can I transpose the keyboard
« on: October 03, 2020, 01:33:32 am »
So far I've seen how to use transpose mode with a sequencer, but I would like to know how to shift the keyboard itself to a different key.

So for example when I play middle C I would like the keyboard to send the note for G etc. This would not be related to the sequencer, but would affect all keys on the keyboard when I play freely. I feel like this is a common 'transpose' function on keyboards and given the scale options I would assume the keystep supports this, but I haven't found any documentation showing that it does.

Does anyone know if or how this is possible?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:37:26 am by fyofranz »

khidr

• Music is everything
Re: How can I transpose the keyboard
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 09:37:35 am »
As far as I know, this kind keyboard transposition is only possible on the Keystep Pro.
It possible on the KS but only when using the CV/Gate out. There is an option in the MIDI Control Center in the CV/Gate setting sub-menu that allows you to set the 0V MIDI Note. If you make changes in this menu you effectively transpose the keyboard output.
An alternative would be to do the transposing in your DAW. In Ableton you can load the Pitch MIDI effect and transpose the MIDI input from the KeyStep 37 up or down.
-------------------------------------------------
www.soundcloud.com/khidr

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 12:17:31 am »
Hi external transpose is possible you need to record a sequence in the KL37  have an external keyboard or DAW  press play on the KL37 and the sequence will change to the key you press
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

ktx400

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 07:36:05 am »
Hi,
i have the same problem, i just upgraded my akay lpk25 to the keystep37 but i just realized that this basic feature is missing.
(in the lpk25 this is this feature available via editor)
I hope this will be available in future firmware releases, this is the most important feature for such a small keyboard.
Anyway i found a way to bypass this problem on Mac using MidiPipe (http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html)
with for example GarageBand.

Here the configuration that you need:
In the right panel create a pipe:
  - Midi In (hijack)
  - Transpose
  - MidiOut (deselect Pass Through)

So far I've seen how to use transpose mode with a sequencer, but I would like to know how to shift the keyboard itself to a different key.

So for example when I play middle C I would like the keyboard to send the note for G etc. This would not be related to the sequencer, but would affect all keys on the keyboard when I play freely. I feel like this is a common 'transpose' function on keyboards and given the scale options I would assume the keystep supports this, but I haven't found any documentation showing that it does.

Does anyone know if or how this is possible?

metamorph

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 12:06:16 am »
WOW, just got this keyboard after waiting for a long time.  It says transpose in blue letters right on the front yet it doesn't do a very basic function of a midi controller.  I am immediately returning this otherwise brilliant midi controller.  WHY :( :(

anthony.cros

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 03:33:19 pm »
For anyone who uses timidity, the trick is to use the -K option, e.g: timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os -K 2

From the man page: "-K n, --adjust-key=n; Adjusts key (i.e., transposes the song) by n half tones.  Ranges from -24 to 24."

Hope it helps someone!

PS: and of course, you need to connect the keyboard with e.g. aconnect 24:0 128:0 (assuming you get 24 from aconnect -l)

chompers

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 06:18:07 am »
STUNNING!
 How is it possible to not include a transpose button? One of the most most basic small midi controller functions.
The 12 dollar keyboard i have has transpose. the 3k midi controller i have has transpose.
I would bought 8 of these things if they included this NEEDED function. blows my mind.

chompers

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 07:08:43 am »
thanks to ktx400 for the heads up.

the "Midipipe" software works very well. its a donation based little program. After some configuration (about 15 minutes) its a great workaround.
Its a couple extra steps any time you want to transpose a performance, but i have it down to a simple task...

In Midipipe:

1. set up a saved "pipe" with a specific function
2. save that file somewhere easily accessible ( i have it in my dock)
3. open that file any time you need to transpose a midi controller.
 It works seamlessly with programs already open and takes effect instantly.

You can quit Midipie at any moment and your midi set up returns to normal instantly
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 07:11:13 am by chompers »

nemydom

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 03:39:21 am »
If you want the transpose feature added, please log your request here: https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp
I just got a response from Arturia that they can fix it: we just need as many requests as possible, to speed it up!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines