March 29, 2024, 10:27:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KSP with DAW Midi question - have I missed something obvious?  (Read 2059 times)

TimDarbyshire

• Apprentice
KSP with DAW Midi question - have I missed something obvious?
« on: September 29, 2020, 05:24:27 pm »
Hello - I might be missing something here, but my intention was to use the KSP with both external hardware and software instruments in the DAW (Logic or Ableton). I get that the KSP uses midi channels 1-4 and 10 by default, but I (maybe naively) expected to be able to use the KSP to record using the other midi channels/all channels like when only using software instruments.
So at present I can record external, software instruments or a mixture of both - but only on 5 channels as obviously a track is always selected on the KSP. It's probably my lack of understanding.  Do I need to hook up another midi controller to achieve my aim?
Thanks for reading
Tim

Andrew Henderson

Re: KSP with DAW Midi question - have I missed something obvious?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 11:41:01 pm »
The very unfortunate answer and one that I learned the hard way this past summer is... the KSP cannot be used in this fashion.  The KSP is touted as seamlessly integrating hardware and software, but this is very misleading, as you have noticed yourself, this only works with things connected directly to the sequencer tracks.  The KSP does not support midi pass through to any devices, not connected to the sequencer tracks, so out of 16 possible midi tracks, you can only use 4-5 at a time.  Things have gotten a tiny bit better, since we can now change midi out channels on the fly, where as we couldn't earlier, but this by no means fixes the problem, it only means you don't have to menu dig, if you want the KSP to control something else, other than the 4 sequencer tracks. 

The KSP could not pass ANY midi information outside of note on/off and velocity, even on its sequencer tracks.  Since the last update, it can now pass pitchbed, modwheel and sustain pedal info, but it still CANNOT pass aftertouch (even though it can transmit it!), midi cc, or program change messages, so keep this in mind.

I know, it really sucks.  I would definitely suggest putting in a request through support for this.  The more we do so, the more they will take these requests seriously and hopefully implement a solution, for the future.  Myself and many others have already done this.  Please add yourself to the list.

The only other way I have found to work with the KSP, is to choose VERY wisely want you want to have controlled from the KSP and be dedicated to that, while using another midi interface (I am using the one on my RME interface) to control anything else.

While I love the KSP for what it can do, I really hate what it can't do and that is an awful lot at the moment.  I am really trying to love the KSP, but I do miss my Novation, which had no such problems.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 11:42:43 pm by Andrew Henderson »

TimDarbyshire

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 12:31:02 am »
Thanks for the reply Andrew. I thought I'd researched the KSP pretty well before buying it, but still missed this. Since I posted the original message I have reconnected my old midi controller as you suggested, so now I can use both to achieve the desired result. Messy, unsatisfying but it's a work around.

I will raise a ticket with Arturia - it would probably require a big change to implement this - it seems it's  just not what the KSP is designed to do.

I still think it's a superb product (or will be when a lot of the kinks have been ironed out!)

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 11:38:14 am »
Thanks for the reply Andrew. I thought I'd researched the KSP pretty well before buying it, but still missed this. Since I posted the original message I have reconnected my old midi controller as you suggested, so now I can use both to achieve the desired result. Messy, unsatisfying but it's a work around.

I will raise a ticket with Arturia - it would probably require a big change to implement this - it seems it's  just not what the KSP is designed to do.

I still think it's a superb product (or will be when a lot of the kinks have been ironed out!)

No problem, glad I could help.

I too thought I had researched the KSP pretty thoroughly before I purchased it, and I was still quite surprised and disappointed when I found out what you did.  I think for me, I never expected something like this to be omitted and I figured this was commonplace and expected in a midi controller, so I never thought to question whether or not it was properly implemented.

Thank you for adding this into support. It will hopefully better our chances of seeing any implementations possible.

khidr

• Music is everything
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 11:00:29 am »
Hello - I might be missing something here, but my intention was to use the KSP with both external hardware and software instruments in the DAW (Logic or Ableton). I get that the KSP uses midi channels 1-4 and 10 by default, but I (maybe naively) expected to be able to use the KSP to record using the other midi channels/all channels like when only using software instruments.
So at present I can record external, software instruments or a mixture of both - but only on 5 channels as obviously a track is always selected on the KSP. It's probably my lack of understanding.  Do I need to hook up another midi controller to achieve my aim?
Thanks for reading
Tim

Hi Tim
I hope I understand your question correctly. The Keystep Pro uses MIDSI channels 1-4 by default, but that is just what it says a default setting. In the MIDI Control Center, you can reassign the input and output of every channel to any of the 16 MIDI channels. You could, for example, assign the four tracks to receive on MIDI channels 13, 14, 15 and 16. You can even receive (record) and transmit on different channels: receive on channel 15 and play/send the recorded track on channel 11. Last but not least there an 'OFF' option to disable MIDI input or out MIDI output for a channel.
-------------------------------------------------
www.soundcloud.com/khidr

pieman

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 10:14:06 pm »
Man what a bummer. I registered for the forum specifically to ask this question and funny enough it's actually the first thread listed.

It would be great if they could add keyboard support to the control section. Being able to hit Control and then change the midi channel of the keyboard on the fly would eliminate the need for any other key controllers.

shame.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 02:56:59 pm »
Man what a bummer. I registered for the forum specifically to ask this question and funny enough it's actually the first thread listed.

It would be great if they could add keyboard support to the control section. Being able to hit Control and then change the midi channel of the keyboard on the fly would eliminate the need for any other key controllers.

shame.

+100

spnc

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 08:01:42 am »

shame.

+1000

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 03:57:45 pm »

shame.
If you hold down the Track Select button you can then change the MIDI channel, per track, using the main knob. Click to confirm.
This space left intentionally blank.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines