April 24, 2024, 07:43:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: I'm really upset at just how garbage the keystep pro is  (Read 3734 times)

Carney#12

• Apprentice
I'm really upset at just how garbage the keystep pro is
« on: September 26, 2020, 05:44:58 pm »
https://youtu.be/0Ouxrc05r2U

I actually went through the trouble of making a video and posting it to youtube.

Sorry for the garbage video, but I just want to show one annoyance of the keystep pro. Firmware 1.3.1. This has been the most disappointing piece of hardware I’ve purchased. Everything is half baked and nothing really works as expected/should. Things like no global transpose, a feature demonstrated in advertising, are still missing. The list is long. Here’s an example of just trying to use it like a normal keyboard with features turned on.

Here I have it set to play in scale mode, aflat minor scale, and it won’t even play smoothly. I can’t even describe it with words, just watch. Wherever there are two adjacent keys that should trigger the same note to stay in scale, they don’t hand off the note. It means when doing smooth fingering across those keys, the note drops instead of just being longer. You can be holding down a key, and not making sound.

I’ve had this since it came out. It’s now on it’s third firmware revision and it still isn’t usable while they release the keystep 37.

None of the freatures work together properly. In fact until the last update you couldn’t even use the step sequencer and scale function at the same time.

I expected a lot more from a company with serious sequencer experience. As it currently stands, it is not trustworthy to be used in a live setting and is only functional in a studio setting with quite a bit of bizarre frustrations that make you feel like YOU are doing something wrong when it’s actually trash hardware.

I’m also pretty upset about the early reviews I watched that convinced me to purchase it.
#arturia #keysteppro #keystep #trashsofar #midicontroller
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:30:15 pm by Carney#12 »

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: I'm really upset at just how garbage the keystep pro is
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 08:02:57 pm »
Hi , I have raised this in the test forum too and hope it will get fixed soon. keys that are not used in that sale should not affect the next note.Thanks for sharing.
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

winddealer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 07:15:52 pm »
Thanks for documenting and identifying yet another "undocumented feature" of the Keystep POOR.
What a launch.  This thing come out last year at NAMM 2020 with loads of fanfare from all the usual suspects.
The common theme of all the early reviews of this product is that it had a "metronome".
So of today, with all we know about this P.O.S.  is that the metronome is its best feature.  So, they were right after all.
Can't wait for the "virtual"  NAMM 2021 next year to hear about all the new capabilities planned of this product.
Seems to me the must of outsourced the code development for this thing.   
Gratefully.
KSP, KS, KL61 MkII, VCol7, Faderfox EC4, Peak, Tyros4, Reaper

erstlaub

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 12:23:35 pm »
Not looking to delegitimise anyone's personal experience but in the interest of balance I just thought I'd say that I've also had one since launch and don't have any day to day issues with mine.

It sits at the heart of my pretty massive eurorack setup, puts out a nice reliable clock to Pam's New Workout and reset to ER-101 and I also use the midi out at the same time to clock an Elektron Samples and to sequence some Roland Boutiques and it all just works as it's supposed to for me.

The worst thing I've come across has been that I'll occsaionally end up with a weird wrong note recorded in a sequence (usually because I've forgot I'd already pressed the record button to send it to step mode) but it's all easily fixed. Global transpose I genuinely could care less about, see also relying on the inbuilt scales, but there are workarounds that are easy enough found.

Anyway, it sucks that you're having so many problems and it's not living up to your expectations but as far as I'm concerned, the flexibility and stability for the cost outweight anything else I can think of that's on the market.

dermichl

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 03:02:39 pm »
This is quite interesting! There seems to be 2 kinds of KSP user experiences - either buggy or working fine. Oddly enough both types include all of the connections available...

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 06:20:31 am »
I just received the replacement for my KSP this afternoon after being instructed by Arturia support to return my previous unit.  The same issue with sticky notes and step record stopping working occurs on the replacement unit.   

=(

So either there is a very common hardware issue that causes memory corruption or the firmware is a total mess.  I am very strongly leaning towards the firmware being held together with gum and string and the MIDI Control Center lacking any sanity checking on import / export.     

Not only do I feel ripped off for being sold broken goods and wasting a huge amount of my time and energy, Arturia has also screwed over my local music shop by having them go through an needless RMA process. 

AmericanBuzz

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 06:57:20 pm »
still having transpose issues with mine

winddealer

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 04:59:29 am »
Will have to check the PolyBrute section to see it that product is experiencing the same type of undocumented issues that KSP has. Hopefully, the code team that developed the KSP isn't the same one on the PolyBrute.   Makes me think twice about even thinking about considering anything new from Arturia until it's been on the street for at least 12 months.   
KSP, KS, KL61 MkII, VCol7, Faderfox EC4, Peak, Tyros4, Reaper

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines