March 28, 2024, 07:11:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can I copy and modify Keylab MK2 Ableton preset?  (Read 1289 times)

gerfalkon

Can I copy and modify Keylab MK2 Ableton preset?
« on: September 25, 2020, 09:21:54 pm »
A question for Keylab MK2 owners and Arturia staff:

I work as a composer, and I use Ableton, many Kontakt-based libraries as well as hardware synths (Eurorack, Peak etc.)
I've been reading that Keylab MK2 is not the best controller for Ableton. It seems the most flexible in settings though. It looks just as good old generic midi controllers such as Edirol PCR-800, where you could assign anything to anything. I don't need automatic integration which is always different from what I want to control, except of transport and device control (blue hand). Volume and panning for 8 tracks is useless for me.

Several things keep me from buying Keylab MK2, and I want to ask the community several questions about it:
- does Ableton preset have Device Control (blue hand)?
- if I create a custom control map for Ableton, will I be able to keep transport controls from the original Ableton preset?
- how much strength is needed to use aftertouch?
- what other Ableton issues did you experience?

alessandrow

Re: Can I copy and modify Keylab MK2 Ableton preset?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:56:15 am »
I just got the keylab and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Here are my issues, please let me know if I am completely missing anything as my difficulties with the product may be on my end, not Arturia's.

Pads

Drum Pads have to be hit WAY too hard. They only register about a velocity of 50, before that any hit will be too soft to register.
The first and last channel faders feel a bit flimsy.

DAW mode

In DAW mode you can use the user wheel to scroll through the project, but pressing play plays from wherever your mouse was clicked last... Is there a way to make the playhead click where the user wheel was scrolled??

The Pause play button only plays, not pauses.

The Track Record button only works if your "bank" is active. I.e. you can click any track you want, but if it isn't in the bank you have selected that the faders modify, it will not arm. This is extremely frustrating because it is nearly impossible to tell what bank you are in.

I would prefer the faders to only affect the selected track. i.e. fader 1 volume, fader 2 pad, fader 3 send a, fader 4 send b, etc.

With the banks, it is very hard to tell what a fader will move without counting the number of tracks to guess which fader is correct.

The pad button flashes when it is enabled in DAW mode, very annoying.

The pad button only controls session view clips in DAW mode, I want to use the drum pad as a drum pad.

USER mode

None of the Daw commands work.
The left and right arrows don't work.

In the Midi control center, you can only assign the buttons to midi CC's, not actual functions. I want to map duplicate, undo, new midi track, delete, etc to the buttons.

Please let me know if I am just being too picky/ there are solutions..

LBH

Re: Can I copy and modify Keylab MK2 Ableton preset?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 06:51:29 pm »
I just got the keylab and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. Here are my issues, please let me know if I am completely missing anything as my difficulties with the product may be on my end, not Arturia's.

Pads

Drum Pads have to be hit WAY too hard. They only register about a velocity of 50, before that any hit will be too soft to register.
The first and last channel faders feel a bit flimsy.

DAW mode

In DAW mode you can use the user wheel to scroll through the project, but pressing play plays from wherever your mouse was clicked last... Is there a way to make the playhead click where the user wheel was scrolled??

The Pause play button only plays, not pauses.

The Track Record button only works if your "bank" is active. I.e. you can click any track you want, but if it isn't in the bank you have selected that the faders modify, it will not arm. This is extremely frustrating because it is nearly impossible to tell what bank you are in.

I would prefer the faders to only affect the selected track. i.e. fader 1 volume, fader 2 pad, fader 3 send a, fader 4 send b, etc.

With the banks, it is very hard to tell what a fader will move without counting the number of tracks to guess which fader is correct.

The pad button flashes when it is enabled in DAW mode, very annoying.

The pad button only controls session view clips in DAW mode, I want to use the drum pad as a drum pad.

USER mode

None of the Daw commands work.
The left and right arrows don't work.

In the Midi control center, you can only assign the buttons to midi CC's, not actual functions. I want to map duplicate, undo, new midi track, delete, etc to the buttons.

Please let me know if I am just being too picky/ there are solutions..
I've replied this here: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=104641.0

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines