March 28, 2024, 12:09:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Program Change question + Pro vs 37  (Read 4118 times)

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Program Change question + Pro vs 37
« on: September 21, 2020, 08:33:32 am »
Hi All,

Please forgive me possibly asking a question already asked. I will be searching soon.

Basically my setup at present is a 1990s 61 key synth and a similar vintage rack synth module. I have a KeyStep (original) sending MIDI to the rack synth, all good. The two stereo outputs are mixed and run through a MIDI capable delay/reverb unit - which has patch recall ability. This setup I am using for writing songs, but eventually I will have a dedicated keys player using this for writing/performing - so I am developing it to be as usable as possible in a live context. As you can imagine, older synths and rack modules are not so intuitive or fast when changing patches - like pressing at least two buttons on the keyboard and then reaching for the rack unit to turn a program select knob and hope you don't overshoot! All while performing.

I have read through the KeyStep Pro manual and see only one mention of "Program Change". I don't fully understand what the Pro is capable of, in terms of controlling presets/patches on external devices.

What I am looking for is a way for the player to easily move between songs/song parts. For example, moving from verse of a song to a chorus. If for example both synths and the delay/reverb unit required totally different sounds, then activating or moving from one "scene" to another would send individual PC messages to all three devices.

My main instrument is bass, with some other synths in my bass-side setup, including an Arturia MicroFreak :D controlled by a Boss ES-8. I have this unit set for song sections and moving from one section to another sends PC messages to all my devices and bingo!

Can the KeyStep Pro (or 37?) do this, or do I need to invest in a separate small controller with that capability? Any recommendations? Preferably something with a visual indicator/screen that shows the name of the "scene" etc.

In a few months I will be in a position to upgrade from KeyStep to either Pro or 37, if required.

Thanks!

Andrew Henderson

Re: Program Change question + Pro vs 37
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 02:03:04 pm »
Unfortuntely, the Keystep Pro does not (at least currently) send program change messages, to external synths.  Any program change messages sent to the KSP will not be passed through.  I am a user of older midi based synths as well and have been very disappointed with this shortcoming, in comparison to my Novation controller, which the KSP replaced.

Please put a request through support on this and how you want the KSP to successfully deal with program change messages to external midi synths, as it will be logged a feature request and the more requests there are, the better the chance of this being implemented.  Myself and others have already done this, but if you feel the same way, you should put your word in too.

Thanks for doing this btw, if you decide to do it.  I really want program change message handling to be implemented, too.

msepsis

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 12:49:27 am »
Very Disappointing. I just unpacked my keystep 37 and couldn't believe that the word "program" appeared only 5 times in the user manual and did not correspond to anything regarding "program change".

I was so distracted by the fact that there was finally a controller with aftertouch that could fit on my desk that I neglected to double check that it also was capable of something so trivial.

It's almost like buying a universal computer keyboard only discover they removed the arrow keys.

Regardless I'll certainly be making the feature request as prompted.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 12:59:35 am by msepsis »

steveecrane

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 08:53:46 pm »
Hello ... and good evening! 

Does anyone know whether the situation with regard to the Keystep series being able to pass or generate Program Change messages has changed?   ???

I've just wasted 2 nights attempting to figure out why I can't do this (or even pass PC Msgs) and am not just disappointed but rather annoyed that something so fundamental is missing from a so-called 'controller' device.   >:(

I've keyboards from Novation, Native Instruments and even a CME UF80 - I love the piano keybed - and they can all do this!!! ::)

Surely this is an insignificant programming change?   ???

Arturia, are you listening?   :o

PLEASE!!!   ;)   :-*

Thanks for any help / assistance / advice you can offer...

Cheers,

Steve.
Cheers,

Steve E Crane

Mr. Peter Kaufman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 08:27:10 pm »
i SECOND THAT.   I got the KeyStep Pro quite a while ago and exchanged emails with Arturia about the absence of program change messages.  They told me back then it wasn't supported but it might be in the future.   No such luck.

Does anyone know if there is a way to specify the MSB and LSB and send those?

Thanks,

Peter

Jjhschnauzer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 07:54:18 pm »
Would also like to see the Program Change capability added to KS37 knobs

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines