March 28, 2024, 06:37:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Accidentally got Noir when I wanted original. Any reason to keep the Noir?  (Read 3574 times)

ugly bunny

• Apprentice
Meaning, is it in ANY way better than the original? I understand they've got the same guts, but I know the Noir is newer and maybe the touch control surfaces are more durable than the wood pattern? I don't know. I'm upset I was delivered the wrong one, but if there's reason enough to keep it, I could sacrifice how cool the original looks. Thanks!

Michael_G

• Apprentice
It is exactly the same beast AFAIK.
BTW the wooden controllers work pretty well on the original version (at least for me).
Noir looks cool on the pictures though.

ugly bunny

• Apprentice
Thanks! One source I read said that the black one just uses black (stained?) wood, so it's more or less the same surface. I agree, i think the black looks cool, but the original just has so much character and I love how the controls are grouped. In any case, I decided I'm going to return it and get the original, as originally ordered. The store is only 35 minutes away, so it's not a huge loss. Just kind of annoying that I didn't notice the sticker said "PolyBrute Noir" until after I was home - I was planning on getting to know it last night because I'm busy for the next few days.

StudioDeutz

I received a replacement just a few weeks ago, and I had the same thoughts.... "...what, if they send a noir?
The replacement is in the original wooden look  .... and I am happy.
Almost all my gear is black- even my studio is all black - Black is my colour :-)

When the beast came out, I thought to myself, why they didn't do it in black.....I bought it because of its flexibility within the analogue frame. Far better than other analogue synth (exception: Andromeda - out of my budget range)

The PB, as my main keyboard, sticks out in this (to my taste) rather conservative "living room" style. I like it very much.

ugly bunny

• Apprentice
Update: Well, I returned the Noir edition and got the classic one. I couldn't be happier. To me, the way the paint/labels groups the controls is so much nicer on the teal/wood version, but I can see how the noir would appeal to some. Anyway, I'm super happy with it and am having fun diving in and exploring something new every day :)

Tarekith

• Apprentice
I'm jealous, only a couple weeks after I bought the original the Noir came out and that's MUCH more my style.  Doh, bad timing!

1Composer

• Apprentice
I really don't understand the love of all black and/or dark themes.  Totally bizarre, if you ask me.  I need contrast and clearly written labels that are visible immediately without struggle.

I see this same problem with numerous software synths, too.  Dark colored knobs against black or grey background colors.  Horrible.

Ever try to read a website that uses light gray fonts on a white screen?  Why do that to people?  Black is the proper color against white. 

Black background?  Well, use big white colored labels (BIG), and silver or white knobs.  The rotary LEDs are really cool and helpful.

Anyway, you get my gist, and opinion.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines