March 28, 2024, 02:25:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MiniBrute 2S with MIDI keyboard?  (Read 4632 times)

CoyoteMike

• Apprentice
    • Whispering Wind
MiniBrute 2S with MIDI keyboard?
« on: September 18, 2020, 07:52:31 pm »
My MiniBrute 2S arrived this afternoon, along with a RackBrute 3U. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming and I expect to be learning this for a long time. Before ordering the 2S, I assumed it would be possible to connect a MIDI keyboard. Now I realise I don't know if this is possible, or if it is, how it is done. I have an Akai keyboard with a USB-B socket and no other connections. Can this be used with the 2S? I assume at the very least, I will need to adaptor or other.

CoyoteMike

• Apprentice
    • Whispering Wind
Re: MiniBrute 2S with MIDI keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:35:12 pm »
I researched some more and, as I suspected, some converter is required. There are MIDI to CV Eurorack modules which are surprisingly expensive at around $200. There's a DIY idea here which I will try in a week or two. https://www.hackster.io/janost/diy-usb-midi-to-cv-0a5469

psienide

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 10:57:07 pm »
You'll most likely need a MIDI host if you're wanting to use a USB controller. It's easy to do USB Controller>Computer app or DAW>MB2/S.
I use a keyboard with MIDI DIN for the easiest and most reliable connection. I would suggest this route even more strongly if you're even considering a MIDI module for eurorack - then you can chain the MB2 into the module and use one controller.

I would suggest getting good with the sequencer first though. There are some limitations when using an external controller on the MB2 - such as it's near impossible to record sequences with one. Also, the aux channel outputs when configured for gate and pitch can't be used with midi, so you'll have better luck with the internal sequencer in that regard also.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:59:07 pm by psienide »

psienide

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 11:09:51 pm »
Your DIY solution also looks like it requires a MIDI host. So you would still need to route it through one.

CoyoteMike

• Apprentice
    • Whispering Wind
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 07:38:36 am »
Thanks. Getting good with the sequencer was my plan, so that works for me. Adding a MIDI keyboard was always going to be a later project. I have a long wish list ahead of a MIDI module :-)

You'll most likely need a MIDI host if you're wanting to use a USB controller. It's easy to do USB Controller>Computer app or DAW>MB2/S.
I use a keyboard with MIDI DIN for the easiest and most reliable connection. I would suggest this route even more strongly if you're even considering a MIDI module for eurorack - then you can chain the MB2 into the module and use one controller.

I would suggest getting good with the sequencer first though. There are some limitations when using an external controller on the MB2 - such as it's near impossible to record sequences with one. Also, the aux channel outputs when configured for gate and pitch can't be used with midi, so you'll have better luck with the internal sequencer in that regard also.

psienide

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 04:12:01 am »
Just another suggestion - if you're looking into a simple oscillator to add to the rack, it might be worth checking out Mutable Yarns. You can knock out the midi module and oscillator in one module. It has a couple of modes where you can turn some of the outputs into oscillators with all the popular waveforms. Of course there's no FM or anything but it can be very useful. It's a very versatile module and one of the first buys for my rack. You can get one used for right around $200.

CoyoteMike

• Apprentice
    • Whispering Wind
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 06:35:49 am »
Thanks for the suggestion. Mutable Yarns is another interesting module to add to my growing list  ;D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines