March 28, 2024, 12:55:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What do you use Pigments for?  (Read 2280 times)

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
What do you use Pigments for?
« on: September 18, 2020, 07:18:37 am »
Hey folks!

Just out of curiosity here and for the fun of it, whhat do you use Pigments for in your music?

Me I use Pigments an as ambient machine, for creating soundscapes, textures & evolving  drones. It because easily in my top 3 instruments since I bought it. Quite an impressive synth for this kind of stuff.

You?  :)

LBH

Re: What do you use Pigments for?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 09:20:03 pm »
No doubt that Pigments are very good for the things you mention.
I wonder which genre you think Pigments can't be used for?
Pigments is a great synth.

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 03:49:51 am »
Country music could be quite a challenge  ;D. ...Even still, who knows in skilled hands what it could do!

You personally, are you using it for a specific sound or a type of aesthetic, or as a bread and butter synth? 

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 06:40:47 pm »
Hi Neon Breath,

That's just it. I don't have a specific genre. I can even do country on Pigments, if i wan't to, but not if i think, that it's better or easier to use another instrument, and i have that instrument. I can't see what Pigments have to do with the music genres anyone do music in.
I think that when i would like to use wavetable modulation, random stuff and in generel things that use lots of flexible and complex modulation, that's when i especially would look towards something like Pigments, unless i have a synth/ instrument that i think would be better or easier to use for that task. But off course it's also about how a synth sound.
If i think, that it would be easier or better to get a certain sound with Pigments, then i would go for that.
But it can be for any mainstream music genres, cinematic sounds, EDM genres and alike, exsperimental electronic music genres, ambient genres, classical inspired genres, progressive rock, exsperimental rock and other rock genres, funk, soul, reggae or whatever. It can even be blended genres - something new or any excisting genre/ music from the beginning of time into the future. To me it's all music. And i can't say, that i would never use Pigments for music. It's a instrument.

I think Arturia Pigments soundpacks and factory sounds allready show examples on sounds for many genres.
I assume people use it for many different purposes and genres. Why not?

A blend of experimental music, church bell and electronic instruments - and early sixties rock for the masses.
Pierre Henry - Psyke Rock (1967): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qssa6ec7faQ

EDIT:
Regarding country a speciel example: WALL OF VOODOO - Ring Of Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZn6Y1JWksM

Pop Country where it just as well could be Pigments used: Taylor Swift  2020 - cardigan (Official Music Video) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-a8s8OLBSE
EDIT END

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:53:35 pm by LBH »

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 05:43:43 pm »
Great input! Interesting read, thanks for sharing. Always nice to know what people do with their tools, often leadind to new ideas and paths.

mindphaser

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 01:09:15 pm »
Arps and Pads....mostly

Chromat1c

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 12:09:34 pm »
UK Hardcore. Cant stand washy spacey trippy pads with loads of stupid delay and reverb, with grains wobbling around etc. I Have virtually no use of the wavetable stuff. For me it is a bonkers sampler for ripping apart breaks and making terrifying hardcore kicks that scare the living crap out you.  :)
I wish the engines could be sent out of different outputs and go to busses independently though. Or can they?

telecode

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 04:33:26 am »
what do I use it for? I just stare at the pretty GUI and dont make much music with it. ;D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines