March 29, 2024, 10:56:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Matching classic sounds  (Read 3532 times)

erikjorg

Matching classic sounds
« on: September 18, 2020, 02:28:15 am »
Hi all,
I am a newbie to synths and am just starting to fiddle with my Essential 49 with Analog Lab. I'd really like to find a way to reproduce as close as possible the sounds used in my favorite classic songs. It seems to me there aught to be a recipe book or catalog of the synth voices used in popular classic songs or at least the settings needed to reproduce them. Right now I'm trying to match the synth sounds used in Nena's "99 Red Balloons". How about Gary Newman's "Cars"? Can someone tell me if such a thing exists or how a musician goes about reproducing such sounds?  ???
Thanks.
Erik

LBH

Re: Matching classic sounds
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 06:31:32 pm »
Hi and welcoem to Arturia forums.

I don't think such a thing excist. Many Artists keep sounds a secret, if they have written them down at all. Many sounds have been lost, as there was'nt any way to save them.
You might be lucky to find informations around , and find presets that is similar.

The Numan Cars sound was probably just made with the Humana section in the Polymoog. You can easy in example make something like that, in example by using the Polymoog emulated Humana section in Arturias Solina.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Matching classic sounds
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:55:21 pm »
...How about Gary Newman's "Cars"?

I like to think i got pretty close:

https://youtu.be/jQdyHQk9TZE

You need to learn the basics about synthesis. There are loads of tutorials online. Then just experiment.
EDIT: don't forget Arturia themselves market a number of 'tribute' preset packs (some free, most not) which are available through the Analog Lab online store.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 01:06:55 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines