March 28, 2024, 02:02:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Question Regarding TRRS  (Read 4711 times)

product80876@gmail.com

Question Regarding TRRS
« on: September 17, 2020, 06:13:56 am »
I'm surprised that there aren't more questions on Arturia's forums about getting the Microfreak's vocoder to work, but perhaps everyone else is smarter than I am.   ;D

I have an original Microfreak and was able to update to the newest firmware without issue, giving me access to the vocoder mode. I purchased a TRRS 'splitter' adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DMCZQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I hoped would allow me to route audio from my hardware interface (such as a higher end microphone) into the Microfreak.

So far I have not had any significant success-- there are times where I'll get a bit of sound coming through, but it's always quite faint and it's unclear if things are functioning as they should (or, for instance, I'm just triggering the vocoder with a very high gain setting). I'm wondering if it's because the cable I am using to run into the adapter is solely TRS instead of TRRS.

Can anyone let me know if this setup should be working or not? Would all connections need to be via TRRS in order to have things function properly, or should I spend more time trying to adjust my settings? Thanks in advance.

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: Question Regarding TRRS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:00:41 pm »
hello, the spliter you bought should do the trick.

Here's some steps to experience vocoder stuff, when connecting a mobile headset (as a personal use, i took the cheap mic/headset they give with Sony PS4 console).
Go in utility menu and check mic settings :
Mic Gain should be default set to Auto Gain
Noise gate should be default set to -70dB
Mic detection should be default set to ON

Exit utility menu and load an init preset
once done change OSC type to vocoder ( it' s the latest one when browsing to the right)
Hold a note with your finger while speaking/singing in your mic , you should hear your vocoded voice.

If not, try to change Mic gain in utility settings.

Now if you want to send another type of signal into the vocoder (such as the sound coming from an Iphone , just an example) :

Ensure Mic detection is set to off
connect your IPhone headphones out to your splitter mic input using a trs jack.
on your Iphone (let's say you make it play a drum loop taken from youtube), set iphone output level at around 75%

load an init preset
once done change OSC type to vocoder ( it' s the latest one when browsing to the right)
Hold a note with your finger , you should hear the vocoded drum loop.

hope it helps,
best

Lord Bronco

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 04:44:34 pm »
Merci for the Awesome Microfreak Synthesizer! In Particular, The Vocoder Update.

However, I have been struggling with the adapters while waiting for my special order from Sweetwater and/or B&H of the dedicated Arturia microphone solution.

So, I purchased and recieved the adapter mentioned by poster above. Having no luck thus far, I wanted to ask some questions:

1)In the updated microfreak manual, there are presets that are specifically made for vocoding.

Could we have these numbers listed here in the forums?

2) I myself have a similar PS4 headset-and it is probably just non-functional. My particular headset is a TRRS designed to plug into a controller for online gaming chats. It does not work.

Plugging a TRRS headset into a microphone adapter that is only TRS microphone input will provide non-functinality.

The question is, could it be explained which passive microphones may be plugged in?

For example, I have many old passive dynamic microphones that are either T/S or T/R/S.

So with that adapter, the theory is that you would plug the dynamic mic into the mic adapter, and a passive set of TRS headphones to not only monitor the Microfreak output, but to also eliminate feedback in the studio monitoring room.

I believe the that these adapters only work with expensive gaming headsets that have both mic and headphone breakout cables-which you don not typically see with the cheap PS4/XBox headsets.

I am obviously wrong about something. :-)

I apologize for the query-I honestly tell anybody that asks that the Microfreak is the most joyous instrument I have played since I first got an Oberheim Matrix-1000 25 years ago.

Thank you for your patience,

-LB

Lord Bronco

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 05:04:47 am »
Hey all, I wanted to report that I did get the Microfreak vocoder working using the above posters TRRS to TRS/TRS adapter.

I had to trial and error using various budget old dynamic microphones-most of which did not work. The PS4 Headset mic does not work.

But what does work is a Sony ECM-DS70P TRS Electret condenser microphone-which I bought years and years ago to plug into a little portable meeting recorder. The point is-don't rush out and try and buy this particular model-it just happens that it works.

It looks ridiculous-it is actually gaffe taped to my cheapo playstation gaming controller headset-instead of mounting it to a proper mic stand. This so I have my hands free while playing the Microfreaks keyboard.

Further, it is a stereo microphone, and apparently it's summing it's signal before heading into the Microfreaks headphone TRRS.

The point is, it feeds back like crazy if I'm not careful.

The adapter does work.

I think I may ultimately be able to use this adapter into my brand new Arctis Steelset Wireless uber gaming headset in order to have a more elegant solution for composing.

To conclude, please don't get frustrated-it does work.

-LB

P.S. The very best youtube tutorial I have found is Synthtopia's "Vocode All The Things". I doubt the forum likes direct links-so I recommend just googling it a bit. 

Scherer

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 09:27:29 pm »
Can't get it working here. Whatever value I set for Mic Gain, when using a Vocoder patch, I always see the "Mic Needed" warning. Tried with two different TRRS adapters, none works. Any other advice possibly or could my MF have a defect?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 09:59:16 pm »
Again hope this helps

https://youtu.be/KnSEQQhB89s
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines