March 28, 2024, 05:07:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Improvements to Scale Mode  (Read 1262 times)

bridgevilleman

• Apprentice
Improvements to Scale Mode
« on: January 22, 2020, 09:40:38 pm »
Scale mode is great! However, there are a couple things that could make it perfect.

First, include the rest of the modes, at least:

* Phrygian
* Lydian
* Locrian

Any other common scales would be nice.

Next, the ability to have scales with more than 7 notes, this could be done by using the nearest black keys.

Finally, which would be the best, would be if we could create a custom scale. The interface would show one octave of keyboard, and you could toggle which notes to include (1-12) in the scale by pressing the notes you want to include on the keyboard.

eEe

• Apprentice
Re: Improvements to Scale Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:21:15 pm »
I'm interested in this, too.  +1

SirPrimalform

• Apprentice
Re: Improvements to Scale Mode
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 04:26:30 pm »
Scale mode is great! However, there are a couple things that could make it perfect.

First, include the rest of the modes, at least:

* Phrygian
* Lydian
* Locrian

Any other common scales would be nice.

Next, the ability to have scales with more than 7 notes, this could be done by using the nearest black keys.

Finally, which would be the best, would be if we could create a custom scale. The interface would show one octave of keyboard, and you could toggle which notes to include (1-12) in the scale by pressing the notes you want to include on the keyboard.

For the first part of your suggestion, I'd actually propose the opposite. You can get any mode of the diatonic scale by simply starting on a different note, so I'd suggest getting rid of Aeolian, Dorian and Mixolydian modes, renaming the Ionian to simply "diatonic" and replacing the spare slots with user scale slots.

Let me explain why you don't need more diatonic modes (let alone all 4 of the included ones).

If you set the scale to C major, starting on A gives you A aeolian. Starting on D gives you D dorian, E would give you E phrygian and so on. Any diatonic mode you want in any key is already possible simply by using Major and choosing the right relative key.
If you want E mixolydian then you'd set the scale to A major.

Having all of the modes would be convenient, but not necessary. I'd rather have extra slots for user scales. Perhaps a compromise would be to have user scales and have the factory setting be diatonic modes with the option to edit them to whatever else the user wants.

I'm with you all the way on user scales, and I'd like to add microtuning to that request. I'd love to be able to play Microfreak's sounds with non-12TET scales.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines