March 28, 2024, 01:51:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Very slow stretching question (granular)  (Read 1234 times)

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
Very slow stretching question (granular)
« on: September 14, 2020, 11:28:51 pm »
Hello folks

Happy new Pigments owner here  ;D (and forums poster as well)

Still exploring the synth, but I'd like to have the more experienced users input on how to do very slow stretching on a sample in granular more. Obviously there's an LFO that can assigned to the Start parameter but do you guys have other tips or tricks for those super long granular stretch? Do you use something else than a simple LFO?

Thanks for your time, appreciated!

LBH

Re: Very slow stretching question (granular)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 01:22:57 am »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

For very slow stretching you can simply use a Function that run slow. It can be set not to loop.

But you have lots of possibilities for different kind of modulations.
Pigments have all the modulators you can see in the Center strip. Each of them can even be sidechained. And you can use multiple modulators to modulate any parameter.
Do whatever you wan't. The modulators have many possibilties. In example explore the possibilities you have with the Combinators in the Combinate tab.

The Factory Template preset "Granular Stretch" in example use Function 1 set to LFO loop playmode as modulator for the Sample/ Grain Start parameter.
In that preset in example try this:
1. Remove the Function 1 modulation from the Sample/ Grain Start parameter and add Comb(inator) 1 as modulator instead. Set the modulation to +1 like the Function 1 had.
2. In Combinator 1 select
A. Function 1 as Source
B. Rand(om) 1 as Mod
C. Divide as Type
Play and hear the result.

Or just try to use Rand 1 as sidechain with in example a value of -0.2 for the original Func 1 modulation.
Hear the result.

Or in example add this to the original preset:
1. Add ENV 2 as modulator for the Sample 1 Grain Size parameter with a value of 0.50.
2. In example set the ENV 2 Decay time to around 3-4 sec.
3. Select Func 1 as Gate Source for the ENV 2
Hear the result.

Just exsperiment with the possibilities. You don't have to use LFO's for modulations at all, and you can modulate any parameter you like. Explore the modulators possibilities.

Have fun with your Pigments.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:26:10 am by LBH »

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 04:11:35 am »
Fantastic! Great input, that's exactly what I was looking for. Some neat tricks to get me started and infuse me some ideas.

That Function that simply runs slow assigned to the Start indeed works like magic for pure stretching. And your Combinator idea is even more sweet, adds alot of randomness to have an even more organic stretched soundscape. Just doing that and it already sounds freakin nuts. And I didn't even add any effects yet on top of that!

I'm still blown away by the modulation possibilities on this thing, I still have to warp my head around it and get that Pigments modulation philosophy :P 

Thanks alot for the quick response and these great ideas. Very appreciated  ;D

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 12:03:56 am »
Your welcome.

Hope you'll put Pigments to good use.

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 05:11:46 am »
For sure! Very inspiring tips.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines