April 16, 2024, 10:12:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: (Solved) Midi sync and DAW  (Read 2135 times)

thark

• Apprentice
(Solved) Midi sync and DAW
« on: September 05, 2020, 06:59:57 pm »
I use Cubase 9.5 to midi-sync to my Prophet6 ... effortlessly. When I start playing or recording in Cubase, the Prophet6, after setting to external midi sync, instantly syncs and plays in perfect time with the project.

So far, however, I have not been able to do this with my Matrixbrute. I'm using the usb midi interface direct to my Mac. I tell Cubase to send the clock to the Matrixbrute midi device (actually, there are two. "Matrixbrute" and "Matrixbrute MIDI interface"). The MxB is configured to receive clock on usb. The I/O midi channels are set on the MxB.

What I want to do is to play the sequencer on the MxB and have it sync up with the project while playing or recording. I have tried setting the Cubase clock sync to "Matrixbrute", "Matrixbrute MIDI interface" and both together. In all cases, the sequencer rate stays unchanged rather than locking into the bpm rate on Cubase.

Edit: Let me add "has anyone ever done this from their DAW and if so, how?".

I can, however, play midi tracks on the MxB that are already recorded in Cubase so the computer is definitely talking the MxB.

Usually, when I have a problem like this, it turns out to be a short circuit between my ears. Please tell me that this is so and that there is a simple way to make it work.

Cheers,

Keith

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:43:24 am by thark »

thark

• Apprentice
Re: Midi sync and DAW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 01:41:03 am »
I was right! It was a short circuit between my ears, as usual.

The fix was simply to push the midi sync button in the sequencer area. Doh!

One thing that I noticed that now makes more sense to me is that the sync'd bpm indicator on the Matrixbrute isn't quite what I set in Cubase. The project bpm is 125 and before I found out about the midi sync button (Doh!) I tried manually changing the MxB bpm to 125. This worked for about a minute into the recording and then started to go out of sync. If Cubase and the MxB were exactly in bpm phase then this shouldn't have happened. However, now with midi sync working, and Cubase set to 125 bpm the MxB bpm readout says 124.9. Cubase is just slightly out on it's bpm setting. No matter. It all works now.

Cheers,

Keith

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Midi sync and DAW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 03:06:57 pm »
...If Cubase and the MxB were exactly in bpm phase then this shouldn't have happened. However, now with midi sync working, and Cubase set to 125 bpm the MxB bpm readout says 124.9. Cubase is just slightly out on it's bpm setting. No matter. It all works now.
When the MxB is a sync slave, the BPM display is an estimate that may have a slight error. I.e. do not worry about the indicated BPM being of by 0.1 - The MxB will follow the master tempo exactly when sync is enabled.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines