March 28, 2024, 07:18:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sync in not working?  (Read 3296 times)

Carbonite

• Apprentice
Sync in not working?
« on: August 23, 2020, 06:14:58 pm »
I try to sync the Matrixbrute as a slave with external gear via the sync in connection. Nothing happens. Do I need more than the clock signal and the midi sync button set to on in order to make the Matrixbrute react? Is there something I am overlooking? I would appreciate any help! Thanks.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Sync in not working?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 12:51:29 pm »
For the sequencer and arpeggiator to play synced you need a MIDI Start message, even if playing it from the keyboard and not by the Start button. When this Start message has been received it will play from the keyboard until a Stop message is received. I think this behaviour will be changed back to not requiring that initial Start message.

Edit: Sorry I misunderstood - I realize that you use the analogue sinc input - I'm not sure about the behaviour there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:36:25 pm by DrJustice »

STM

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 03:06:07 pm »
+1

I hope that this change will come soon(tm).
Best would be to make it an option to change in the menu.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 03:45:38 pm »
OK - I've tested Sync In now. It exhibits the exact same behaviour as for MIDI Sync in that it needs one Start message to get going (the Sync In is a TRS jack that carries both the clock and the run/stop signal, so you need a stere cable for this).

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 10:54:06 pm »
This is even worse...

Just in case, @OP, have you checked if sync is set to Sync In in the Midi Control Center?

Carbonite

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 12:34:23 am »
Thanks for the answers!

I don’t exactly understand though how to do it? I can send out a clock from, for example DFAM, to the sync in of the Matrixbrute but how could I send a play/stop message along it too? Or how would I do it in a DAW? How did you do it exactly when you tested it?

Carbonite

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 12:35:16 am »
This is even worse...

Just in case, @OP, have you checked if sync is set to Sync In in the Midi Control Center?

Yes.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 12:42:30 am »
Thanks for the answers!

I don’t exactly understand though how to do it? I can send out a clock from, for example DFAM, to the sync in of the Matrixbrute but how could I send a play/stop message along it too? Or how would I do it in a DAW? How did you do it exactly when you tested it?
If you're using the 3.5mm sync jacks, they are TRS (Tip, Ring Shield), so they carry both the clock and a run/stop signal, as mentioned. For this to work you must use a 3.5mm jack stereo cable.

When I tested, I connected MicroFreak Sync Out to MatrixBrute Sync In using a 3.5mm jack stereo cable, made sure the MxB MIDI clock source was set to Sync or All (set in the MCC or the system parameters mode called up with PRESET + MOD + SEQ) and that the MxB MIDI Sync button was on. By doing this the MxB sequencer starts and stops together with the MicroFreak. If you want to jam by playing the MxB sequencer from the keyboard while synced to a master, the MxB must have received one Start message for that to work.

Carbonite

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 06:50:19 pm »
Thanks, DrJustice. Still don’t know how to do it since I don’t have gear that sends out cv clock and start stop together. Will research more.

clos820

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 05:47:42 am »
Arturia are lagging, they need to fix this lame bug. To OP, you could revert the firmware backwards to pre 2.0 and you will have a nice working synth which works great with external sync not requiring any  start commands. However v2 added quite a lot of good features so...we sit...and sit and wait for Arturia to realize this sync thing is a HUgE bug. Please fix it already..asking pretty please with sugar on top Arturia :)

standingwave

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 11:05:11 am »
 The sync worked without a start message,  but it didn't sync with previous firmware versions; the clock drifted like an ocean wave.
 The MXB clocking system has always been shit. I have no fight left in me, and Arturia clearly don't care.

I've been expanding into eurorack equipment lately and am really experiencing the pain of this bug now. Its actually a ridiculous thing to leave sitting and is a real slap in the face from Arturi.

Carbonite

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 12:14:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input!

Can anyone tell me how to do a start/stop signal then? I bought a 2 mono jack to stereo jack cable and the clock signal from my DAW works fine (the gear connected to the Matrixbrute sync out is perfectly in sync) but nothing happens on the Matrixbrute itself. How does the start/stop signal looks like exactly ? I do not have gear that produces this automatically so I need to do it as an audio track in my DAW.

I wrote to Arturia but no answer.

standingwave

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 09:36:18 pm »
You could solder up something to make it work one end would be TRS and the other 2x TS . One TS would carry the clock signal, and another could be used to send an impulse to get the clock going.
 Thats a work around for now.
 Kind of stupid to have to do something like this though.

Carbonite

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 11:31:42 pm »
Thanks, standingwave. I bought a cable like that but how does the start pulse need to be? Do you know? I tried various audio triggers but nothing worked.

Also, Should the Matrixbrute already tempo slave to the audio clock or does it need the start pulse? My Matrixbrute does nothing exept sending to sync out and there my gear is in perfect sync with Ableton and follows tempo changes as well.

standingwave

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 11:55:32 am »
I believe any 5v -ish pulse will work as a start signal. Just send one pulse, then unplug the jack. Kind of like boosting a car to get it going . Haha.

Maybe with Arturia releasing the polybrute, it will share some of the coding as the matrix and we'll actually see a fix for this.🤷‍♂️

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines