March 29, 2024, 01:18:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep Pro - tie/rest and slide functions  (Read 5061 times)

mickglossop@mac.com

Keystep Pro - tie/rest and slide functions
« on: August 21, 2020, 03:52:23 pm »
Hi - I just sold my Beatstep Pro and bought a Keystep Pro (which I love, so far...).

I was thinking that it would have all the BS Pro features (plus Keystep features). However - there doesn't seem to be a tied note function or a slide (portamento) function (as there is in BS Pro).

Searching the manual on "tied/rest" brings up only sections describing Chord mode.

Am I missing something here?

erstlaub

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Keystep Pro - tie/rest and slide functions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 12:41:03 pm »
This took me a few sessions of confusion to get but the KSP's GATE length can be set to output for longer than 1 step. A dialled in value of 0.25 is a quater of one step, a value of 8 lasts for 8 full steps.

AFAIK there isn't built in portamento (I always found the BSP interpolation to be sort of ugly anyway) but depending on how your synth deals with it, setting the gate length to longer than where the next step is may force it to slide?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:02:00 pm »
Hi Please update to FW1.3.1 which includes Note TIE

TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

brentmoreland

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 04:13:30 pm »
How does one use this TIE function?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 09:56:40 pm »
Hi. In step record   Which just pressing rec button hold note down and press the tie button to how many step you want the note to tie
There is no visual feedback as if yet but it works

Regards
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

smund

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 02:07:52 pm »
Hi. In step record   Which just pressing rec button hold note down and press the tie button to how many step you want the note to tie
There is no visual feedback as if yet but it works

Regards

Will this work to get the Glide/Slide function out of a Unit that requires Legato/portamento to activate it's Slide?
I'm looking to get a 303 unit and sequence it with the keystep for easy pickings.
Would you mind having a quick look at the MAM MB33 unit here? https://www.elektronauts.com/t/has-anyone-managed-to-do-slides-with-the-mam-mb33/131221

khidr

• Music is everything
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 11:16:45 am »
How does one use this TIE function?
To expand Terry's tip:
In firmware version 1.3.2 and up there are two ways to create ties.
To create ties in step recording mode:
- enable step recording by pressing the record button
- start recording your sequence by playing a note
- when you want to tie a note to the next one, hold the note and press the tie button one or more times, depending on how long you want the note to sustain over several steps.
If for example, you create a note that ties over four steps, by pressing the tie/rest button four times, what yo do is basically creating a note with a long gate period. You can check this by holding the note on the keyboard and touching the gate knob.

You could also start from quick edit mode:
- Enter some notes in the pattern by playing a note on the keyboard and pressing a step to record them in.
- Now activate record mode by pressing the record button
- hold one of the notes (on the keyboard) you entered in the pattern
- press the Tie/Rest several times to tie the note over several steps

To edit the Tie status of a note in an existing pattern, press step edit and press the Tie/Rest button several times. If you need to shorten a Tie, activate step edit mode, select the step where the Tie starts and reduce the gate length of the step using the gate knob.
-------------------------------------------------
www.soundcloud.com/khidr

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 05:00:33 pm »
Sounds like you are suggesting using Step Record?  If so, it routinely (as in every time I use the KSP) stops working so you cannot reliably use that method to extend ties because the transport will no longer progress once the bug occurs.  That specific bug seems tied to using mono mode for the sequencers so depends on your usage case.  If you never use mono mode it might work better.

jmayo

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 03:11:28 pm »
The Tie functionality doesn't really work as expected in 1.3.2. Yes you can extend note lengths but whenever the note changes it triggers the gate again, kind of defeats the point if you were expecting TB303 ties or classic legato style. KSP definitely feels half baked to me.

Roush1

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:28 am »
The Pitch and Mod touch strips are like standard wheels by they way they work, then again, actually you slide your finger in reverse or forward along the strip as opposed to turning a wheel.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines