April 16, 2024, 07:46:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: DX7 - the LFO coarse tuning sequencer - less muddy / more stacatto?  (Read 1904 times)

mjharding

• Apprentice
Posting this as a separate question.

Used the 'hopping ratios' preset to create a set of voices for an animation gig. I like the result but, particularly in the middle, once there are 8 voices running together, there's quite a lot of mud, and the rhythm of the arpeggiator / sequencer is blurry.

I really want to find a way to make it more snappy, at least in places, so I can let the other sounds (mostly orchestral instruments playing stacatto) create some strong counterpoint.

It seems to be particularly in the lower frequencies, E0 -> E2.

I can go through and clean it up with sidechain compression / EQ and all that kind of stuff, but...

I'm wondering if there are ways within DX7 to make the rhythm more snappy. To be able to automate it to have more or less width, change the ADSR values, similar techniques.

here's a rough bounce of 120 second DX7 track in case you want to hear what I mean - it gets particularly muddy around 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJer1jMUycQ

There's also a screenshot on the mp3 upload to show you how I've stacked the voices. The low voice I've EQ'd to be more or less only bass. The two higher voices are similar, just more or less wide, playing different notes.

Perhaps this is a terrible use of the DX7, and mud is inevitable - I'm pretty self taught. Sorry if this is annoying.

LBH

Re: DX7 - the LFO coarse tuning sequencer - less muddy / more stacatto?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 09:06:01 pm »
You have LFO modulation of the pitch for long notes without level variation. Each new pitch does'nt have anything that make it "snappy".
And you have Reverb so pitches blend.

You can try to exsperiment with MSEG envelopes and the Apeggiator, and perhaps the modulation sequencer.
You can also try to modulate other parameters like volume and level parameters and others with the LFO's and/ or other modulators. 
It all depend  on which result you are looking for. I suggest you exsperiment.

You can read about all the elements in the manual.

I have also replied your other thread.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines