March 28, 2024, 08:51:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP sequence export to KSP  (Read 1632 times)

barcsdad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
BSP sequence export to KSP
« on: August 13, 2020, 04:27:40 am »
I'm about to pull the trigger on a KSP, and I was wondering if there is a way to export my patterns/sequences out of my BSP so I can load them into my KSP. Would this be possible via the MCC?

synthcreep

• Apprentice
Re: BSP sequence export to KSP
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 06:58:44 pm »
No way currently. 

If you are considering migrating from the BSP be very clear that the KSP is *not* a direct upgrade and is still buggy and feature incomplete.  The Keystep Pro has decent hardware but poor firmware and the MCC is missing key functionality that was there with the BSP.  Arturia offers no roadmap for firmware or software updates so the device you buy now is the one you get.

It would be advised to wait until the next OS update drops to see what bugs get fixed, what features get implemented and what new bugs are introduced before purchasing.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 07:16:03 pm »
I agree to this.  When I purchased the KSP, I thought it would have been a direct replacement to the original Keystep and Beatstep Pro, meaning all functionality from both, would be in the Keystep Pro, but this is very much not the case.  There is lots missing in the Keystep Pro, that were found in the Keystep and Beatstep Pro.  Coming to this, from a Novation controller as well, has really thrown me for a loop, as it doesn't work at all how I expected.  Definitely wait.

barcsdad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 07:45:59 pm »
I'm curious as to what features/functionality you aren't seeing? I don't really expect absolutely everything to be included, as it is a new piece. From watching several demo/tutorial videos, there hasn't been anything I've seen that I would miss. Everyone works differently though. The BSP was pretty rough initially, and they finally got it up to par. I appreciate the comments for sure!

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 03:33:27 am »
Here's a few.

On the Beatstep Pro transpose can be applied to all tracks at once which makes sense if you want to change key for example while playing.  This is not supported at all on the KSP, transpose is only per track.  Similar to this, there is no pattern sync option. You do get scenes though which are useful.

In the MCC for the BSP, you have a detailed project state view which includes a sequence viewer for the patterns.  Personally this provided a way to at least have a visual idea of what stored projects contained since naming doesn't work very well within MCC.  This does not exist at all for the KSP and the MCC view is very barebones.  Also note that USB speed is still anemic so transferring data is as slow as it was with the BSP.

On the BSP you can revert to a saved version of a pattern by switching away from it and then going back (changes are not stored until you save it).  There is *no* way to reset patterns to the saved version on the KSP without power cycling because patterns are always working from scratch RAM and this only gets loaded on power up.  The "undo" button is somewhat unpredictable so currently is not a replacement. I am still not clear when it works to be honest and so far I have only lost work because of it.

On the BSP editing a note means you press the step it corresponds and play a note. On the KSP there is what seems like a bug related to polyphony / overdub where steps will randomly not allow you to change them unless you press the original note first followed by the new note.  The note lights will show you pressing the new note but the original note will flash and will not change unless you press it first.  This happens a lot but inconsistently.

The BSP is monophonic.  The KSP defaults to polyphonic which causes issues when you are trying to control monophonic devices.  It offers a monophonic option but this resets to polyphonic EVERY time you clear a pattern.  So the work flow for a monophonic sequences mean having to repeatedly change the polyphonic option every time you clear a pattern.  If you accidentally record in polyphonic mode, the notes are still there and will need to either clear the pattern or manually go looking for them to turn them off.  It's especially jarring / annoying when you are used to the BSP. 

I was expecting a "Beatstep Pro" Pro and it is not that, at least not yet.  Firmware is very much in alpha state (feature incomplete, major bugs).  Although the BSP would occasionally do weird stuff with CV when switching projects, this was recoverable by stopping and starting the project.  I have never had it lock up.  I have had the KSP lockup twice now with one of those times while I was live streaming. 

Cheers   

barcsdad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 04:10:32 am »
Extremely insightful. I appreciate your time for that! It will definitely factor in my purchase decision.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 01:22:46 am »
To add to this, The BSP allowed you to use the drum sequencer, where each drum track could be set to its own midi channel.  On the KSP, the drum sequencer only has one global midi track, to output to.  As well, the BSP had the wonderful alternate pattern playback mode for the sequencer, the KSP eliminated this playback mode and it is no longer available.

brentmoreland

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 04:18:44 pm »
I solved the problem by just having BOTH the KSP and the BSP

al80

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 01:07:51 pm »
Here's a few.

On the Beatstep Pro transpose can be applied to all tracks at once which makes sense if you want to change key for example while playing.  This is not supported at all on the KSP, transpose is only per track.  Similar to this, there is no pattern sync option. You do get scenes though which are useful.

In the MCC for the BSP, you have a detailed project state view which includes a sequence viewer for the patterns.  Personally this provided a way to at least have a visual idea of what stored projects contained since naming doesn't work very well within MCC.  This does not exist at all for the KSP and the MCC view is very barebones.  Also note that USB speed is still anemic so transferring data is as slow as it was with the BSP.

On the BSP you can revert to a saved version of a pattern by switching away from it and then going back (changes are not stored until you save it).  There is *no* way to reset patterns to the saved version on the KSP without power cycling because patterns are always working from scratch RAM and this only gets loaded on power up.  The "undo" button is somewhat unpredictable so currently is not a replacement. I am still not clear when it works to be honest and so far I have only lost work because of it.

On the BSP editing a note means you press the step it corresponds and play a note. On the KSP there is what seems like a bug related to polyphony / overdub where steps will randomly not allow you to change them unless you press the original note first followed by the new note.  The note lights will show you pressing the new note but the original note will flash and will not change unless you press it first.  This happens a lot but inconsistently.

The BSP is monophonic.  The KSP defaults to polyphonic which causes issues when you are trying to control monophonic devices.  It offers a monophonic option but this resets to polyphonic EVERY time you clear a pattern.  So the work flow for a monophonic sequences mean having to repeatedly change the polyphonic option every time you clear a pattern.  If you accidentally record in polyphonic mode, the notes are still there and will need to either clear the pattern or manually go looking for them to turn them off.  It's especially jarring / annoying when you are used to the BSP. 

I was expecting a "Beatstep Pro" Pro and it is not that, at least not yet.  Firmware is very much in alpha state (feature incomplete, major bugs).  Although the BSP would occasionally do weird stuff with CV when switching projects, this was recoverable by stopping and starting the project.  I have never had it lock up.  I have had the KSP lockup twice now with one of those times while I was live streaming. 

Cheers   
actually you can reset saved patterns if you press shift+save.i am using it all the time and i love this feature

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines