March 29, 2024, 07:44:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: DIY Ribbon controller for Matrixbrute?  (Read 5834 times)

Processaurus

DIY Ribbon controller for Matrixbrute?
« on: August 25, 2020, 11:00:42 pm »
Just an idea, but was thinking how fun it would be to have a ribbon controller that sat above the keys. Could run it into the expression pedal input, and assign it with the mod matrix. Could stick it down with that magnetic sheet stuff.

Just in the daydreaming stage, but for a diy thing I would want to use one of these 500mm membrane potentiometers:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8681

I think you could wire it up quick and dirty, without other electronics, like an expression pedal, but it wouldn’t be able to hold its position when you took your finger off.  Could still be fun though! And easy. To hold it you would need a whole circuit, either an analog sample and hold thing, or a digital programmed thing like Arduino, which might be better, if the softpot had a tendency to drift as you take your finger off it.

They have pressure sensors that could go under the pot, that could do a separate thing through expression pedal #2 input, like volume, or filter, etc. if you were doing pitch cv with the softpot:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9674

Here’s a nice Arduino project, that almost fits the bill, but it seems to be a midi controller, rather than CV, and I don’t think we would be happy with regular 0-127 resolution on something like this, though 14 bit midi could be very nice and not use up the expression pedal

http://www.coagula.org/albedo/how-to-build-a-midi-ribbon-controller-with-arduino/

If you did do it as midi rather than cv, you could come in as macro knob 3 and/or 4, on midi cc# 4 and 3, respectively. In the midi control center for the MxB you can turn on 14 bit midi receive, and get smooth, fine movements.

Ideas?

STM

• Apprentice
Re: DIY Ribbon controller for Matrixbrute?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 01:03:25 am »
Sounds interesting!
I have no real experience with this sort of thing..
The pure passive approach does seem like easy way to get a quick playable version to see how good it feels.
For the next step would prefer a digital circuit for the S&H part. Analoge is possible, but my guess is that the resolution if an Arduino or something similar is high enough and changing the software sounds easier then soldering.

To throw a big bunch of money on the problem and get a Continuum Mini would also be an option  ;)

aWc

• Apprentice
    • aWc
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 06:35:32 pm »
Also interested, but I am not much of a DIY electronics guy. Is there a ready-made ribbon controller available from some manufacturer, like the Kurzweil of lore?

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 09:48:49 pm »
Synthesizers.com sells a ribbon controller kit for their MU format modular systems.

https://synthesizers.com/q182rp20.html

Processaurus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 06:48:34 am »
Also interested, but I am not much of a DIY electronics guy. Is there a ready-made ribbon controller available from some manufacturer, like the Kurzweil of lore?

Not above buying something, the Kurzweil one seems to be the only cheap one, but I couldn’t figure out if it’s a proprietary design, just for their synths? Or does it do midi or cv?

Processaurus

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 07:02:57 am »
Sounds interesting!
I have no real experience with this sort of thing..
The pure passive approach does seem like easy way to get a quick playable version to see how good it feels.
For the next step would prefer a digital circuit for the S&H part. Analoge is possible, but my guess is that the resolution if an Arduino or something similar is high enough and changing the software sounds easier then soldering.

Good idea, mocking it up first with the basic softpot wired to a 1/4” plug into the expression pedal input would at least give the idea if a whole, custom thing is worthwhile.

I like the idea of doing it with Arduino, have to find one with good resolution on the A/D, like 16 bit would be great. Be straightforward to do an analog one, but if it’s done with a microcontroller  it’s like taffy, anything you can program it could do- slew, quantize, custom curve for the pressure sensor, midi, blinky lights.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 11:28:41 pm »
Not above buying something, the Kurzweil one seems to be the only cheap one, but I couldn’t figure out if it’s a proprietary design, just for their synths? Or does it do midi or cv?
The Kurzweil one is proprietary - i.e. it's just a ribbon and needs electronics to work.

There is also the Doepfer R2M one, ribbon + MIDI/CV control box. I think it's no longer being made, but you can probably buy NOS some places, and the rather nice controller box is available separately here:
https://analoguezone.com/doepfer-r2m-ribbon-controller-without-manual.html

A complete R2M is available here:
https://reverb.com/item/6805755-doepfer-r2m-ribbon-controller

The Kurzweil Ribbon and the ribbons from Sparkfun can probably be made to work with the Doepfer control box.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 04:04:11 pm »
Synthesizers of all stripes are frequently controlled with different sorts of potentiometers. While it would be a fascinating activity to make your own standard bend style potentiometer, It shows that making a lace regulator is moderately simple.
"Lace regulator"?
Link to Taco Bell Customer Satisfaction Survey & Feedback in signature?
1 posting?

I smell fish. @Admins!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 04:16:26 pm »
I smell fish. @Admins!
I saw it and gave him the benefit of the doubt considering it was vaguely related to the topic if you metaphorically squinted hard enough. I was waiting for him to post a completely o/t second post, which bizarrely never arrived, after which I would have zapped him lol.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines