March 28, 2024, 10:54:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Animations for Keys of Virtual Instruments not mapped correctly to MIDI device  (Read 2657 times)

simpucker

• Apprentice
Hi everybody,

Currently using Analog Lab 4 as part of V Collection 7 on a rent to own basis via Splice.

There is a bug I can reproduce on my system (Windows 7 64 bit):

The standalone DX7 (part of V Collection 7) works flawlessly. This applies in particular to the GUI. What I mean is the graphic representation of the instrument. When I press note keys on my hardware MIDI USB keyboard controller, the standalone DX7 shows the exact keys that I press. Great stuff as expected.

For reference, I am using the following preset patch: Rom1A 11-E. PIANO 1.

However, when I switch to Analog Lab, the aforementioned feature is flawed, i.e. buggy. For the record, I use Analog Lab because of its ability to play multiple virtual instruments simultaneously. Still, I would like to see a perfectly matching representation of the hardware keys that I press on the screen.

The bug is as follows: When I open the identical DX7 preset patch (Rom1A 11-E. PIANO 1) in Analog Lab, I can of course click the "pencil" symbol on the DX7 ("Open Instrument View"). This takes me to a detailed view of the virtual synth. This view is not greyed out because the DX7 is part of V Collection 7.

Now, some keys on my hardware MIDI controller do not trigger an appropriate "key pressed" animation on screen. The keys work in that they produce a sound. But the GUI is off. It is always the same keyboard keys that are affected. I use a 61 key MIDI controller. It is the miditech i2-61 Black Edition. It affects key #42 (F4). It simply does not move on the screen.

Why is it that this works in the standalone DX7 but not in Analog Lab?

BTW, with the B-3 V2, there are no problems. My 61 hardware keys are perfectly represented on screen in both the standalone version as well as in Analog Lab. Tested this with the "Mid Genesis" patch.

Also, all keys are animated on Analog Lab's "Show Keyboard" screen. This is the generic keyboard that one can toggle on and off with a click on the bottom of the screen. The fact remains that the DX7 in Analog Lab is flawed as far as animations go.

Looking forward to your suggestions to fix this. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:48:32 pm by simpucker »

simpucker

• Apprentice
For the record, I use Analog Lab because of its ability to play multiple virtual instruments simultaneously. Still, I would like to see a perfectly matching representation of the hardware keys that I press on the screen.
Sorry for the self-reference. While the issue is not fixed, I found a personal workaround for the quoted section. I can use Reaper as a DAW and import several tracks using the command "Insert virtual instrument on new track..." That way, I can re-create the salient feature of Analog Lab, which is to play several virtual instruments simulatenously ("multi") via one MIDI USB controller. Obviously, several tracks in Reaper must be armed for the instruments' sounds to be combined.

Speaking of DAWs: When I specifically load Analog Lab as a "virtual instrument" in Reaper, I get the same interface I would get when only using Analog Lab outside of the Reaper DAW. The bug, however, is the same within the Reaper DAW as in the original post: When I use the "Open Instrument View" from within Analog Lab (which is within the Reaper DAW), certain physical keys of my MIDI USB controller do not trigger the expected "note key pressed" animation on the screen, especially with the DX7. However, exactly like outside of the Reaper DAW, accessing the virtual instruments directly (bypassing Analog Lab) results in flawlessly working note key animations.

One thing that is cool with the Reaper DAW is that I can have as many detailed views of virtual instruments on screen as I want. They are all animated.

Still, I would like to see the issue of the original post fixed within Analog Lab.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:35:36 pm by simpucker »

simpucker

• Apprentice
This appears to have been fixed in Analog Lab V. The original issue happens in Analog Lab 4.

To quote from my thread starting post:

Also, all keys are animated on Analog Lab's "Show Keyboard" screen. This is the generic keyboard that one can toggle on and off with a click on the bottom of the screen. The fact remains that the DX7 in Analog Lab is flawed as far as animations go.

This is fixed in Analog Lab V. I am currently using a new laptop with both Analog Lab 4 and Analog Lab V installed. In 4, when I press a certain note on my new MIDI controller (KORG microKEY 61 MkII without bluetooth), the pressed key is not misrepresented in the GUI of version 4 (different key is displayed as being pressed; sometimes even multiple keys are displayed as being pressed).

In version V, the mapping between the physical MIDI key and the animation on the screen is fine. Version 4 and V tested with the ROM1A 11-E. PIANO 1 patch of the DX7.

Currently, I do not have a full version of the DX7 so I cannot enter the detailled instrument interface vvia Analog Lab. However, I am confident that the GUI key mapping in there is fine in version V, too. It has been fixed for the generic "Show Keyboard" from version 4 to V screen after all.

simpucker

• Apprentice
IMPORTANT UPDATE: I just experienced the originally reported issue again in Analog Lab V. This time with the Slow Build patch on the ARP 2600 V3. When I press a certain physical key on the MIDI controller, the GUI in Analog Lab V shows several keys being pressed.

Honestly, this is an unacceptable bug for a product that is putting so much emphasis on the visual aspect of its software.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines