March 29, 2024, 05:26:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SysEx doc  (Read 4230 times)

Brutefactor

• Apprentice
SysEx doc
« on: August 09, 2020, 03:37:40 am »
Where can the documentation of sysex for upload / download patch (both to/from from specific position (like C23) and to/from edit memory) be found?
(Really doc for all SysEx!)
It must exist, as MCC uses it (at least for a specific slot).
It would be useful to be able to store the patches used for a song in a track in the project - this was working fine in the 90ies - why not now?
(At some point in time someone obviously decided that sysex should be a company secret - this seems to apply to multiple companies - why?)

If documented (as in the old days) it would enable the community to make useful tools, even long after the product is abandoned by the company.

STM

• Apprentice
Re: SysEx doc
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 01:04:57 pm »
+1 :)

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:48:32 pm »
+1 absolutely

joeman

• Apprentice
    • Musical Experiments
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 09:46:42 am »
+1000000000000 :)
Experiencing a flow of temporal information now, and in anticipation, and in retrospect.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 01:56:39 pm »
why not now? (At some point in time someone obviously decided that sysex should be a company secret - this seems to apply to multiple companies - why?)

You went on to answer your own question:
If documented (as in the old days) it would enable the community to make useful tools, even long after the product is abandoned by the company.
Also, I'm old enough to remember when electronics gear came with a schematic either at the back of the manual or inside when you took off the base. The whole idea was someone with fundamental electronics knowledge could at least troubleshoot and repair basic hardware faults. Imagine being encouraged to actually repair something these days.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 02:26:23 pm »
I basically agree with this and I'm advocating for it.

It would be useful to be able to store the patches used for a song in a track in the project - this was working fine in the 90ies - why not now?
(At some point in time someone obviously decided that sysex should be a company secret - this seems to apply to multiple companies - why?)
A sysex patch/bulk dump is indeed useful. However, that would not require publishing of the format or any extra support. I.e. it's a fairly quick "fire and forget" job, and I'd hope we at the very least get that, if not a full documented sysex protocol...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:47:32 pm by DrJustice »

Germano

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 10:19:26 am »
+1

WolfEsch

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 12:40:01 pm »
+1000
Fully agree especially as not all controllers are sending midi data. All buttons on VCO, VCF etc. And all matrix buttons do not send anything at all.

Im really disappointed that such an excellent device has such a poor documentation. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines