April 25, 2024, 12:59:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to achieve a note-off granular sound disintegration?  (Read 1562 times)

MikeySea

• Apprentice
How to achieve a note-off granular sound disintegration?
« on: August 07, 2020, 03:12:39 am »
Hey everyone, first post here (woot)!  :)

Here's my question:
I would like to have a sound "disintegrate" when letting go of the keys, e.g. by having the note-off message trigger the granular engine that would affect the release tail of the sound, making it seem like it's breaking up into many little pieces while it's fading out.

Anyone have an idea on how to achieve this?

Thanks for any advice!

LBH

Re: How to achieve a note-off granular sound disintegration?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 06:02:56 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

There is'nt any "note off" trigger.
But modulators can be set to have both negative and positive modulation impact on any parameter including as a sidechain. Have you tried to experiment with that?

If you in example:

1. turn up the Sample/ Grain volume fully
2. Add an envelope as a modulator with a fully negative value for that volume

Then you will get no sound when the modulator envelope is in the sustain phase, if the sustain is fully up.
When you release the key, then the volume will turn up according to the set release phase.
Perhaps what you wan't is that simple. But you can modulate other parameters to get different effects.

MikeySea

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 02:02:12 am »
The inverse envelope to have the release turn up the sample/grain volume is exactly what I needed!
Would be nice if the release curve could be shaped more, but after a little experimenting I think I'm gonna get to what I'm envisioning with the release's duration setting and some envelope tweaking on the primary sound's engine.
Awesome, you rock, LBH!  :D

LBH

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 04:55:26 pm »
Great. Your welcome.

Don't forget you have Functions that also can work like multi point envelopes.
And you have the sidechain feature.
I think you can have more control, than you realize right now.

MikeySea

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 11:40:35 pm »
I'm sure you're right, I'm more or less a beginner with synthesizers and all my ideas require a lot more knowledge than I currently have. But that's a good motivation to learn. ;)
Based on your answer I went back and realized I can achieve a lot by modulating the release's time. I still think it would be more straightforward if I could change the curve like with attack, though. But that's being a nitpick, overall Pigments is the first synth I feel like I can achieve my ideas while not being overwhelmed by the technical side of it. Workflow and visualization are both practical and beautiful.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines