April 20, 2024, 01:33:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia KeyStep Pro with Moog mother 32  (Read 3106 times)

uleesays

Arturia KeyStep Pro with Moog mother 32
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:05:04 pm »
Hey everyone.

I'll keep it short:

I'm taking my first steps into modular.

KeyStep Pro is not tracking pitch correctly with Moog Mother32 via CV.

When middle C is established, the further up I go, the more it detunes towards sharp. The further down I go, the more it detunes towards flat.

I've menu-dived in KSP (CV Settings, Pitch format) but none of the settings available corrected the issue.

I'm using PITCH OUT from KSP into VCO 1V/OCT IN on the Mother32 and gate out into gate in.

Is there any solution to this? 

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:24:46 am by uleesays »

synthcreep

• Apprentice
Re: Arturia KeyStep Pro with Moog mother 32
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 02:55:32 am »
Could be the Mother 32, not all synths track particularly well or over a large range. 

I have a Dreadbox Erebus V3 and the manual specifically talks about tracking being usable only within about an octave.  It's fine via MIDI though.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 01:37:56 pm »
This was a common problem back in the day, and is one of the problems which midi obviously fixed.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:42:58 am »
Have you had the Mother 32 for long?  Perhaps it needs re-calibration?

Could be the Mother 32, not all synths track particularly well or over a large range.

I have a Dreadbox Erebus V3 and the manual specifically talks about tracking being usable only within about an octave.  It's fine via MIDI though.

Yeah and interestingly the Moog Mother 32 VCO is beat by the Doepfer High End VCO, which has a stable range of ten octaves!

This was a common problem back in the day, and is one of the problems which midi obviously fixed.

But that is why you want to use CV; for that authentic 70's synth sound that goes out of tune ever-so-slightly as you go up and down the octaves and makes people on lsd lose their mind!

I dunno why MIDI helps with accurate pitch tracking, but it does.  That along with DCO's really cleaned up the issues that synths had in the 70's.  A discussion on another forum recently addressed the drift that VCO's have and how many engineers have added a drift parameter to their oscillators to give the phasing effect that old multi VCO synths had.

When I hear some of that early 80's synth pop which has a very slow and very noticeable waver to the pitch, I have often wondered if that was the oscillator drifting around the pitch frequency or a really weird idea of what constitutes "great sounding" vibrato.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Jan Juno

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 01:09:33 pm »
Got the same config. Do you tried midi only? I use it not als play module use it as it is and just trigger sync. therefore i cannot commit the detune. I know that the LFO has a very short range if you play it paraphonicly.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 04:33:16 pm »
After reading about some Doepfer modules, they like to say "about 1v/oct" when describing the CV inputs for things like filter frequency that are used to pitch-track the cutoff.  This suggests that the v/oct circuitry could have something to do with the accuracy of pitch tracking via CV.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

TinyVince

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 03:46:14 pm »
Hallo

Use the Mother32 multiple before the V/Oc patchpoint.
Strange but works much better.

Cheers

uleesays

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 09:07:24 pm »
First of all, I would like to thank all of you for having taken the time to reply my question. Kudos to all.
I have tried many of the things mentioned but none really worked.

UNTIL

To the person who wrote this:
//////////
Hallo

Cheers
///////////

IT WORKED PERFECTLY. Thank you so much, you've saved me some money, I was starting to think that the only solution was getting the Erica Synths Pico mScale.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 04:24:49 am »
First of all, I would like to thank all of you for having taken the time to reply my question. Kudos to all.
I have tried many of the things mentioned but none really worked.

UNTIL

To the person who wrote this:
//////////
Hallo

Cheers
///////////

IT WORKED PERFECTLY. Thank you so much, you've saved me some money, I was starting to think that the only solution was getting the Erica Synths Pico mScale.

Good one!  Now you can spend the money you 'saved' on an analogue delay (if you don't need the delay, just send it to me ;D )

I've read that to keep timing frequencies accurate to use cables no longer than 30cm (a foot?) as any longer starts and they start acting like a mild lpf.  So perhaps if you have any cables longer than that around, experiment with it and see if you can win that multiple back.

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 08:15:55 pm »
I've read that to keep timing frequencies accurate to use cables no longer than 30cm (a foot?) as any longer starts and they start acting like a mild lpf.  So perhaps if you have any cables longer than that around, experiment with it and see if you can win that multiple back.

If you think about inductors and how much wiring is required to have a significant impedance value, I doubt that most common cable lengths would have any appreciable effect.

For the multiple on the M32, I am guessing it is buffered and that helps because the clock input on the M32 is somehow mismatched to the KSP's clock out (wants too much current, impedance is off, etc.)  If it is not buffered then if anything, it should make the behaviour worse.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines