March 29, 2024, 03:04:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Change default start preset?  (Read 5160 times)

synthanimal

• Apprentice
Change default start preset?
« on: August 05, 2020, 06:19:36 pm »
I just want to get to work when I open the synth and want to eliminate the first step of changing the preset.
Is it possible to set up your own preset whenever you start up Pigments? Is there an ini-file or something where one can change it?

LBH

Re: Change default start preset?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:40:13 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

As it is, then the standalone application will open, with the last selected preset and settings.

When a plugin is inserted in a project, then it will load with the "Default" preset, that i don't think can be changed. If it can, then i assume it will be through one of the XML or PREF files in Pigments resource folder. There is'nt a speciel init file with only a single setting for a default preset. Changing a default preset, will not help, if you work on more than one preset.

A plugin saved with a project should open, with the saved preset selected. Is'nt that the case?

I would'nt mind, if it was possible to change the default preset for a plugin to a init preset of my own, if that's what you mean.
In standalone mode, there perhaps could be a choice to open thge default preset, but i also think it's great with the possibility it opens with the last settings before it's closed, like it does now.
But i think using the browsers search function and other functions is quite fast.

synthanimal

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:00:20 am »
Thank you LBH,

"I would'nt mind, if it was possible to change the default preset for a plugin to a init preset of my own, if that's what you mean."

I should have been more clear, yes that's what I was looking for ;D Ultimately it would be nice for a pref where one could specify how the synth should start up.

haslo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 02:27:11 pm »
This "Feature" really convinced me that Arturia Pigments is not a synth for me. A true "Init" preset would mean that every parameter on every page is on its default position, and whatever I want to build, I can start from scratch. After half an hour of changing pages, I still find parameters that are in really strange positions. All the presets, in the slots they don't use, have things set to values the preset never wants to use because of that, too.

This synth is made for people who want to find presets and maybe tweak them a bit. I want to build sounds. The entire UI and UX runs counter to that.

Well, at least I found that out while I was still in the evaluation period. I'm happier with Phase Plant, Serum, Surge etc.

A pity about the Granular synth features. I'll have to look elsewhere for going beyond Granulator II.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:31:10 pm by haslo »

LBH

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 04:51:12 pm »
This "Feature" really convinced me that Arturia Pigments is not a synth for me. A true "Init" preset would mean that every parameter on every page is on its default position, and whatever I want to build, I can start from scratch. After half an hour of changing pages, I still find parameters that are in really strange positions. All the presets, in the slots they don't use, have things set to values the preset never wants to use because of that, too.

This synth is made for people who want to find presets and maybe tweak them a bit. I want to build sounds. The entire UI and UX runs counter to that.

Well, at least I found that out while I was still in the evaluation period. I'm happier with Phase Plant, Serum, Surge etc.

A pity about the Granular synth features. I'll have to look elsewhere for going beyond Granulator II.
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I think you misunderstand. Pigments has a init/ default preset. You can even reach it through the menu as well as in the preset browser. Some just also wan't to be able to create one them self and replace the excisting init preset.
I don't have any synth that can do, what the OP suggest. Some does'nt even is as easy to load a init preset as Pigments/ Arturias synths are. I don't even think there are any synth on the market, where you have the feature the OP suggest.

haslo

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 11:40:45 pm »
Well, I did reinstall Pigments and I'm back on the Splice rent-to-own plan, it does have so many awesome features and does sound really impressive.

Yeah, sorry for the tone of my post. Indeed, the OP's post wanted something else, but I think the motivation was the same as for me:

The default Arturia Pigments 2 preset is "Reverse Box". It has samples loaded, effect chains and modulations set up, and modulation sources that aren't used have values dialed in and parameters set (LFO 3, Random 2 & 3), the macro knobs have names. And there is no "init the synth" setting or preset that gets rid of all those settings.

I'm fairly sure that preset is exactly the one the OP created and wants to set as his default. I do think that this should be the default state of a synth when I open it up.

After another 90 minutes, I think I have a preset that does exactly that (unless I missed another setting). So my "Init" preset is there. And, your post further up in the thread also helped: The file presets.featured.xml in the Presets folder has a list of presets, and indeed Reverse Box is at the top. I added another line before that:

<item path="/Pigments/User/User/Init"/>

This does what the OP wanted, and what solves my problem. It looks like the default preset Pigments loads is the first from that XML.

Now when I load Pigments, my Init preset is loaded, and I have a blank canvas for creating whatever sound I can dream up. Yay! And thanks!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:55:11 pm by haslo »

Interplain

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 09:26:19 pm »
Can i say i understand what this guy is asking. This is what i would say is a major problem that i have found. An i am a programmer and know that all this needs is a correction to a place to set up the volume for each patch which ever it is on every change. Using a XML file to go to.  This really makes my blood boil. When switching from one patch to another within a track i am working on. I get a blast of sound that doesn't relate anything to my current project i am working on. An i have to adjust the volume to give the patch a place in the track on every change. It's like giving a painter a tube of black paint and saying paint me a picture, you cant use white, only black. Please look at this issue, it's in my opinion a bug.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines