March 28, 2024, 01:59:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Assign keybed or presets to midi channel 1 instead of ALL.  (Read 3236 times)

RobArtz

• Apprentice
Assign keybed or presets to midi channel 1 instead of ALL.
« on: July 25, 2020, 08:05:55 pm »
Hi,
When I switch to USER-mode to use my Key Lab MkII for i.e. an extern synth module, I hear the sounds from the extern synth module layered whit the sounds of the preset from Analog Lab. I found out that when I switch to ANALOG LAB, all the knobs, sliders etc are automatically set to midi channel 1, but the presets are all set to midi channel ALL. This is why still hearing the sounds of Analog Lab when in USER-mode. This omission makes the Keylab MkII less useful for me. I was wondering if Analog Lab could be programmed that all the presets are also automatically set to midi channel 1. If so, I can set all the USER-profiles to i.e. mid channel 2 to 16.
It would be great if Arturia implements this in a future update.
Cheers!

LBH

Re: Assign keybed or presets to midi channel 1 instead of ALL.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 10:13:13 pm »
I think your problem is the Global midi setting in the Audio and midi settings does'nt work like the manual say it should. Like in the thread in Keylab MKII forum i suggest you contact Arturia support about this.
Your issue is to be able to use another synth on a different midi channel, if i understood you correct in your original post about this. I answred like i did, because this issue is not about Analog Lab mode on your controller. The issue you have is for any controllers.

The Global midi setting should only allow ALL keyboard midi channels/ OMNI if set to ALL. Please read in the manual about this.

In Multies you can set a midi channel for each part. But that's not a global change.
You can only use seperate midi settings for parts in a Multi, if you are using ALL/ OMNI for the application.

Another thing you can do apart from making Multies, is to use a host (a DAW or another kind of host), where you can filter midi channels comming from controller as a inpout device, and at the same time be able to set another midi channel send to the plugin.
Then you can be sure only to send a single midi channel to a Analog Lab instance.
You have to study this. It may not be that easy to do in all hosts.

RobArtz

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:23:48 pm »
I have solved my problem!  In USER-mode I have routed the MASTER-slider to midi channel 1 with CC=85 (master volume of ANALOG LAB) and routed slider 8 to the USER-midi channel with CC=7 (in my case the master volume of my external synth module). So now I can switch from ANALOG LAB-mode to USER-mode, then gently lower the volume of the preset in ANALOG LAB and raise the master volume of my external synth module. I can even mix them the way I like to. The nice thing is that when I am in USER-mode and hold the note(s) of my external synth module and then switch to ANALOG LAB-mode, the sound of my external synth mode keeps on going until I let the key(s) go.

But it still would be better if the midi channel of all the presets also were set to midi channel 1 by default when I choose the ANALOG LAB-mode. Or block the whole Analog Lab-module when choosing the USER-mode. Just like the USER-mode is blocked when choosing the ANALOG LAB-mode.

I have sent an e-mail about this to the Support from Arturia. Let's wait and see....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:11:37 am by RobArtz »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 01:02:38 am »
Your feature request and solutions is not a solution to the real problem.
What would you do, if you in example wan't to use multiple Analog Lab instances, that you can play on different midi channels, if all your Analog Labs play all the time, no matter which midi channel you set your controller to send on?
And what if you have 16 synths, you wan't to send seperate midi messages to?

You need to be able to seperate the incomming midi messages to the individual instruments.

Good you have contacted Arturia support. I will be very interested in Arturias reply. I would say, that the Global midi channel setting should work when it's there.

BTW: Using Master volume to set volume like you suggest can be very bad. Keep in mind, that for many presets, you will get distortion, if you set the Master Volume too high.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:05:25 am by LBH »

RobArtz

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 07:24:51 pm »
This is what Arturia answers:

---------------------------------------
Hi again Rob,

You're welcome !

Your comment makes indeed sense.

Indeed, in such case defining a specific Analog Lab 4 Midi Channel is mandatory to prevent this.

By default, Analog Lab 4 is defined to "All" however normally defining to another Midi channel should work fine but after giving it a try, it seems that this option isn't behaving as it should.

I'll immediately reference this and link your ticket to it in order to increase its priority.

At the moment, to avoid facing such troubles and more easily route your controller to your different virtual instruments instances properly through distinct Midi Channels i would strongly suggest you to use a DAW which is indeed clearly the more suitable and flexible solution to achieve such.

On our end, we'll indeed check the Standalone Midi Channel selection issue as soon as possible.

Looking forward to hearing from you !

Kind regards,
Guillaume - Arturia Support
---------------------------------------

So, let's wait and see when Arturia has implemented this one.
Having blind faith in Arturia I bought a Arturia Keylab 88 in advance to complement my Arturia Keylab SL61 MkII.
Cheers!

LBH

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 08:29:33 pm »
Thanks for the info Rob.

Nice to know, that Arturia now know about and has confirmed  Analog Labs Global midi setting bug.

Cheers.

RobArtz

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 08:08:56 pm »
Solved in Update 4.2.2.3882 - Arturia did a great job!  :D

LBH

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 10:01:39 pm »
Great  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines