April 26, 2024, 02:33:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Connecting KSP to Minibrute2 - Noob Question  (Read 806 times)

jpjh.vega@gmail.com

Connecting KSP to Minibrute2 - Noob Question
« on: July 16, 2020, 11:37:07 pm »
Hi All, I'm trying to connect my KSP to a Minibrute 2 using CV(Pitch)/Gate, but I have not been able to create a sound.  Does anyone have a Minibrute 2 that can provide me with the way they have them connected?  Thank you in advance!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Connecting KSP to Minibrute2 - Noob Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 06:49:04 am »
I don't mean to come across as condescending, but I don't have much info to go on, so I'll explain most everything you need to know when connecting the KSP to the MiniBrute 2 via CV (gonna skip Velocity though).

Quick summary of how CV on the KSP works; the Pitch outputs send the note value, Velocity sends the strength (volume) of the note and the Gate sends note on and off, all linked to the Track that voice is assigned to.
To assign the voice to the Track you want to use, press and hold the Shift key.  The last four keys on the high end of the keyboard will light up to indicate if any voices are assigned: Bright if assigned to that Track, dim if assigned to another Track or off is unassigned.  Hit the key that corresponds to the voice you are using to that it lights up brightly.

Now what comes next.  On the MiniBrute 2 patch bay there are points that are specifically for Pitch and Gate to be connected to.  They are labelled in white as to what they control and also in blue to indicate where the CV will come from if no cable is inserted.  The ones you want to connect the KSP Pitch and Gate to are VCO1 Pitch and ADSR Gate, respectively.  KSP Pitch will send the note value to VCO1 and 2 (no cable in VCO2 Pitch means it will get its CV from VCO1) and the KSP Gate will tell the ADSR envelope to activate when a note is played on the KSP (from a pattern or when you play the keys) as well as activating the AD envelope.  Plug into those points and play a pattern or the keys on the KSP.  If all is in order, the MiniBrute will respond!

I really recommend reading Chapter 7/Patch Bay in the MiniBrute manual.  It is really well written and can teach you about using modular synth patch bays in general as well as the one on the MiniBrute 2.  Patching a modular can be perplexing if you have never done it before.  I know it took me some time of plug and see on my MS-20 when it was gifted to me by a guitarist (way back in the days of florescent teeshirts and poodle-mullet haircuts!) with no manual or any clue given on how a space music machine worked.

Hope this helps.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

jpjh.vega@gmail.com

Re: Connecting KSP to Minibrute2 - Noob Question
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 01:40:50 am »
Thank you so much!  your reply really helped. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines