April 20, 2024, 04:35:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Custom Drum Map problem  (Read 2540 times)

Andrew Henderson

Custom Drum Map problem
« on: July 13, 2020, 07:02:24 pm »
Has anyone else had any issues,  in making a custom drum map with the Keystep Pro?

I am trying to make a custom drum map, based on my Roland TR-09 and the values don't stick.

Please see the attached screen shot, showing the midi implementation for the instrument triggers of the TR-09 and then please see the attached screen shot, showing how I created the custom drum map, to match that chart.

This happens in the MCC software and from the unit, itself.  It does not matter.

I can successfully put the values in the box, but when I leave and come back, they are mostly different, with only a few of the values, actually sticking.

I was under the assumption that in creating a custom drum map, you could map any values you needed, to any key, in order to have the flexibility to map the keys to virtually anything out there, without any hindrances.

The manual is useless on this topic, as it does nothing except explain  that this can be done, but not exactly how to go about doing it and it certainly doesn't list any rules, restrictions, or things to watch for, when creating your drum map.

I would really appreciate some help and guidance if this isn't a bug, yet if it is, I need it to be made note of, so it can promptly get fixed.

Thanks so much, for anyone's time and effort in sorting me out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:49:55 pm by Andrew Henderson »

Andrew Henderson

Re: Custom Drum Map problem
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 07:04:30 pm »
This is what the drum map reverts to, after creating my custom one.  Notice some values are as I set them, but most aren't.

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 12:33:08 am »
Have you tried changing the map on the unit itself via the Utility menu as a workaround?

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 12:42:22 am »
Have you tried changing the map on the unit itself via the Utility menu as a workaround?

Hi again!

Yes, perhaps I didn't make it that clear and I'm sorry for that, but in my original message, I said it made no difference if I did this via MCC, or the unit, they both won't stick.

It is vital that I can get this to work, as the order number of these notes, is exactly how the drum sounds are laid out in order, on the drum machine itself.  I also have a TR-707, which follows the exact same drum map, so getting it to work would be great for both machines.

Thanks again for your reply btw.  As you can tell, I am likely going to keep the controller now, after fumbling my way over the weekend in changing things to route out via my RME midi out, instead of the KSP, midi out.  It is still certainly not idea, or as user friendly as my old controller, but if I can work with it, I would like to and hope that the future will bring even more to the controller, through updates.

afx114

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 07:19:01 am »
Having the same exact problem.  No matter what I set in Midi Control Center, some note settings stick, some don't.  After syncing I can manually adjust them using the KSP menus so it works.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 07:35:13 pm »
Thanks so much for sharing your findings.  I am glad to know that I am not the only one, who is experiencing this issue.  I have been in contact with support over this, but am yet to have a fruitful outcome.  I will post back here, if we come to any conclusions.

In checking around more, there is a post on Gearslutz from a couple of months ago, where they too were experiencing the same issue.  No progression on that thread has been made either, unfortunately.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbie-audio-engineering-production-question-zone/1311553-mapping-volca-beats-parts-keystep-pro-drum-sequencer.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:36:59 pm by Andrew Henderson »

afx114

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 09:03:00 pm »
This mapping worked for me, so that all the white keys (1-10) on the KSP map to the keys on the beats.  I have a theory that the syncing from Midi Control Center doesn't work if there are conflicting assignments, so I set all the non-mapped notes to unique values.  This still didn't work and I had to manually adjust some mappings directly in the KSP after syncing from Midi Control Center.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 09:37:48 pm »
I got it working on my end too.  :)

It was your hint above that got me thinking and in trying it out, I managed to create a custom drum map in the MCC software and have it successfully sent to the unit, where ALL values stuck!  I didn't have to adjust, or manually set any values on the unit, itself.

The hint?  A conflict of assignments and to set all non-mapped notes, to unique values.  You cannot set a key to a value, if another key is already assigned to said value.  So, before you set the key to the value you want, MAKE SURE that NO other key is using this value and if there is, change this value BEFORE you assign the value to the key, you want.  If you change all outside keys to values that you will never use and even keys you will use to values that won't conflict, you can then assign the keys the values you will use, in the order you choose and things will stick.  If another key has the same value, even if you change it AFTERWARDS, it won't work.  You MUST make sure that no other key has the value you want to use BEFORE you set the value to the knob you want.

Thanks so much for this tip off.  I am going to update support on these findings.  This is still a bug imo, as you shouldn't have to screw around this much, to get things to work.  The average user is never going to think to do this and will wonder why there set values are never sticking, just like we did.  The MCC software/firmware of the unit, must be made smart enough to overcome this conflict and be able to adapt to assignments, even if they are already in use, or be able to change assignments afterwards if they do conflict and still have things work, as expected.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:39:25 pm by Andrew Henderson »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines