April 19, 2024, 05:58:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: New Arturia user coming from Novation, please help?!  (Read 701 times)

Andrew Henderson

New Arturia user coming from Novation, please help?!
« on: July 06, 2020, 09:25:19 pm »
Hey everyone.

I am new to the forum and new to Arturia period, with the Keystep Pro being my very first purchase, only a few hours ago.  I unfortunately cannot say I am very happy with this purchase at the moment and was hoping someone can help me?

I am coming from a Novation SL49MKII and right off the bat have noticed some issues, which I cannot seem to overcome.

1.) My Novation SL49MKII had an option in its settings to set a desired velocity value when playing the keyboard, as well as curves.  When I am simply triggering synths, or samples, I want these to be at full volume, so I can always hear exactly what I am doing, without having to worry about how hard I hit the keys.  I don't need to hit the keys hard to get max velocity and even the slightest tap, will get me the max volume I desire.  With the Keystep Pro, it is also velocity sensitive, but this means I am FORCED to having to play the keyboard at a consistent, hard pressing of the keys, in order to get the desired output level I want.  I cannot simply tap the key and get a loud, consistent playback level from connected kit.  Is there a way to disable the velocity settings, or better yet, set a value, that will always be adhered to, when pressing the keys?  I would really like to set it to 127 and just be over with it.

2.) I understand that the 4 sequencers are set to channels 1-4.  So far, it seems I have to actually select that track, to be able to play and hear from it.  This is terrible.  At the moment, I am not wanting to use the internal sequencers and am simply wanting to use the Keystep Pro as an input device, to control my outboard synths and my software sampler (HALion 6), in Cubase 10.  If I have anything on midi channels 1-4 in Cubase, I can't play them, unless I click on the 'track button' for that particular channel.  Is there not a way to play a midi channel in Cubase, without having to select its track first?  On my Novation, I simply selected the track and enabled the monitor button and I was on my way.

3.) This brings up the biggest issue of all.  I cannot use the monitor button on my midi tracks, or all hell breaks use.  The moment I click on a monitor button, I will get playback that is all over the place.  Multiple notes, of different pitches all building on themselves (best way to describe it) and the Keystep Pro screen will tell me something along the lines of how the 16 note max limit was reached for that step.  I have no idea what it is going on about, as I am not using the sequencer at all and am simply using the Keystep Pro as input device and simply enabling the monitor button on a selected instrument track in Cubase and pressing a single key on the Keystep Pro, will exhibit this behaviour and I will have to force stop all midi communications and click the panic button on my Digital Music Corp MX-8, to stop this from happening.

Right off the bat, I can't use this controller.  The above 3 things have totally thrown me for a loop and the unit is packed back in the box.  I hooked my Novation back up and it was pure bliss, just having this work as expected again.  I am really hopeful it is just something I am doing wrong.  I was really hoping the swapping of the controllers would be plug and play, but apparently not.  I have gone into the settings of the Keystep Pro and Cubase repeatedly and see nothing out of the ordinary, that would cause this behaviour.

Can anyone sort me out, so I don't have to return this to the store?

Thank you so much.  I am really desperate and depressed here.  This thing cost me over $640 Canadian and I am feeling sick to my stomach, that it can't get any use.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:30:47 pm by Andrew Henderson »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines