March 28, 2024, 11:25:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Random pitch drift on wavetable unison  (Read 1238 times)

dylanjaxxon

Random pitch drift on wavetable unison
« on: July 05, 2020, 10:11:26 am »
When using the wavetable engine, increasing the unison voices to any non-zero amount (even with stereo and detune set to zero) causes sequential plays of the same note to sound differently, with varying levels of pitch and volume. I have attached a preset file to show this (its a bass patch so its easier to discern with the lower keys but you can hear it across the full range). Is this usual? I would expect each keypress to be identical if there is no randomization applied.

LBH

Re: Random pitch drift on wavetable unison
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 01:50:12 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

In Engine 1 You are using the MODULATOR for FREQ MOD. That's causing the movement.

dylanjaxxon

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 03:28:21 pm »
Thanks for your reply. Why does use of the modulator cause differing tones? Is the modulator free-running and does not reset its phase on each key press? If so is there a way to make it reset? Or is there some other workaround to achieve a consistent tone while using the modulator for FM?

I also want to note that the drifting only seems to occur while there are multiple unison voices, is that related to what is going on?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 03:30:34 pm by dylanjaxxon »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 07:23:44 pm »
The MODULATOR does introduce some difference to each UNISON voice. It can be to avoid very high clickings in some cases. I can't tell you, if this is normal, if one can say talk about normal in this.

You can try to set the PHASE MOD Sync/ Retrig to Mod Osc.

Also you can keep the Key setting for Sync/ Retrig in the PHASE MOD, and try to drop the MODULATOR modulation in your sound, and use the PHASE DISTORTION Amount and Target settings instead. Try to start with the Amount at twelve o'clock position, and perhaps Psudo PW as Target. And try Self as Sync/ Retrig for PHASE MOD. But in generel exsperiment as it also depend on which of the very different sounds you get now, that you like.
Keep in mind, that what you don't like now actually also contribute to the sound as it is. Try to set the PHASE MOD Sync/ Retrig to Mod Osc in this example, then i guess, you'll  know, what i mean.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:32:14 pm by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 11:21:43 pm »
I have been looking at this again.
And actually to me there does seem to be something odd going on with the PHASE MODs Key function in the latest Pigments. It's like something does'nt get synced/ retriggered by KEY down messages, in an example like yours.

Perhaps it's a good idea to contact Arturia support.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:15:09 am by LBH »

Igro

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 06:54:12 pm »
It is really not working properly when the unison is envoled. Then if you start tweaking the wavefolding or phase distortion, the weird randomness will occur. Confirmed,

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines