April 26, 2024, 04:18:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Drum Track with Volca Drum  (Read 1946 times)

dougykeys

• Apprentice
Drum Track with Volca Drum
« on: July 03, 2020, 03:17:31 am »
For the life of me I cannot get the drum track to play with my korg volca drum.  The volca drum works when set to a midi channel that matches sequencer track 1.  However, when set to midi channel 10, or whatever channel the drum track is set to, it does not respond.  This is post update and reset.

Does anyone else have this problem with a volca drum?  Am I missing something here?

Thanks

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Drum Track with Volca Drum
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 05:26:28 am »
For the life of me I cannot get the drum track to play with my korg volca drum.  The volca drum works when set to a midi channel that matches sequencer track 1.  However, when set to midi channel 10, or whatever channel the drum track is set to, it does not respond.  This is post update and reset.

Does anyone else have this problem with a volca drum?  Am I missing something here?

Thanks

When you use channel one, do all the instruments on the Volca Drum sound, or only the kick (first instrument)?  The Volca Drum has two MIDI rx modes.  One assigns a different channel for each instrument and recieves on channels 1-6, the other receives on one channel and uses MIDI note numbers to address the instrument.  The second was not implemented until the first firmware upgrade, so if you haven't upgraded it since you bought it, you will need to do that so you can change the MIDI mode and use it as a you do a regular drum machine.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

dougykeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 04:11:00 am »
Thank you..

When I play on channel 1, all the drums play.  When I play on channel 1 1-6 mode, they play only one sound per track like you described.   The drums work on the sequencer tracks, but I cannot get it to work either way you described using the dedicated drum track.  No matter what channel I assign to. 

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 08:44:50 am »
Thank you..

When I play on channel 1, all the drums play.  When I play on channel 1 1-6 mode, they play only one sound per track like you described.   The drums work on the sequencer tracks, but I cannot get it to work either way you described using the dedicated drum track.  No matter what channel I assign to.

Bizarre.  I just double checked and had no issues with any MIDI channel I set the Volca Drum to.  I made sure my VDrum was set to RxShortMsg and ensured I had a custom drum map set on the KSP (Part1: 60, Part2: 62, Part3: 64, Part4: 65, Part5: 67, Part6: 69).  Tested Ch1, all was good, then tested Ch10 and all was good.  You do have the latest firmware for the Volca Drum?  I only ask because I can't remember what would happen when I tried to boot into the channel selection menu when I had the release firmware and the single channel mode was broken.  But if you were stuck in split mode you'd most definitely notice.

Plug the KSP into MCC and open the MIDI view.  Run a pattern on the Drum Track, mute the rest and see what is show up in the console.  You should see the MIDI notes showing up if all is good on the KSP end.
Try setting Track 2, 3 or 4 on the KSP to the same channel as the VDrum.  Select arp and play an nice close set of notes starting with middle C in (to match the notes expected by the VDrum).  You should hear something out of the VDrum.  If you have another sequencer or controller keyboard, do the same thing with it to see if the VDrum responds.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

dougykeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 12:26:02 am »
Wow!  After hooking it up to MCC and checking midi like you suggested, I discovered a glitch.  My low C was triggering C3 but the next notes were showing as D2, E2, etc.. upon going back and forth, it eventually corrected itself.  I found that drum mode chromatic, Low note 60, works to keep the volca drum on the first six white keys.  That was frustrating but thank you for the help! 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines