March 28, 2024, 09:56:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can anyone explain why you can only use one midi program at a time?  (Read 1834 times)

Neb

• Apprentice
I don't understand, if I've got the Midi Control Center open and connected to the Minilab, why I can't then also have it connected to Reaper, EZKeys or EZD2 so I can actually hear and see the mappings I'm creating as I'm doing it? I'm also trying to connect to EZKeys standalone and GuitarPro7 both at once so I can switch between them interchangeably as I work. But no. I have to keep saving the projects and closing down each program each time I want to switch, even if it's just for a second.

It's extremely frustrating, and I don't understand the reason for it at all. My sound card is multi-client. How on earth can't my controller send a bit of midi out to more than one program at a time? I can't fathom this limitation at all. Is this normal? Are other controllers multi-client? If it's just the MiniLab that works this way, then it's going straight on eBay!

Thanks.

Neb

• Apprentice
Re: Can anyone explain why you can only use one midi program at a time?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 03:23:58 pm »
So the answer seems to be that Arturia are too lazy to write their own drivers for their gear, and the native Win10 midi driver does not port share.

I managed to send midi from GuitarPro7 to EZKeys via LoopBe1. But it would be far better if both programs could just connect to the damn MiniLabII simultaneously.

I'm really disappointed about the Arturia Midi Control Center software not having midi out, so that I could at least send midi from the MiniLabII -> MCC -> an VSTi via LoopBe1, to actually hear and see what the controllers and pads I'm assigning are doing. As it is, the MCC hogs the controller all for itself...

It's ridiculous that I have to write the bindings on a piece of paper, close the instrument, open MCC, edit and save the bindings, close MCC, open the instrument, find out something is wrong, try and work out what's wrong without having MCC open, close the instrument, open MCC, adjust the bindings without being able to hear whether it's fixed the issue or not, close the MCC, open the instrument, find out it still isn't working for some reason, and go back to step one. Really, really poor and frustrating.

On top of that, the pads of the MiniLabII don't even match up with what's in the MCC - when I press pad 1 - 4, pad 5 - 8 are selected in the MCC. I have to click on the damn element with my mouse to select it. Also I'm not impressed with the pad response either - you have to hit them really hard to get 127 velocity. Further, I can't even use half the patches in Analog Lab because it's too CPU intensive for my laptop and there isn't a setting in the software to lighten the load. Lastly, you've got shitty customer support too.

It's been a bad experience, and I feel a huge amount of buyer's regret. This was my first controller, and will be my last from Arturia.
No doubt Arturia staff won't even read this, so it's really for future potential customers - research carefully before you buy an Arturia controller.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:11:41 pm by Neb »

rooser53

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:23:59 pm »
Hmmm... I have to say I just bought a Minilab MKII and I can't believe it's so hard to make a custom map in MCC. I don't use session mode in Live, but every Live implementation for controllers, uses session mode. Crazy that the most important thing to record a track in Live is "arming" the track, and that's the one thing none of these controllers does! I have to manually select the dumb track or set up a key on my computer keyboard with midi mapping... DUMB!

djskope

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 01:32:51 pm »
It's ridiculous that I have to write the bindings on a piece of paper, close the instrument, open MCC, edit and save the bindings, close MCC, open the instrument, find out something is wrong, try and work out what's wrong without having MCC open, close the instrument, open MCC, adjust the bindings without being able to hear whether it's fixed the issue or not, close the MCC, open the instrument, find out it still isn't working for some reason, and go back to step one. Really, really poor and frustrating.

Is there any development on this?
Does anybody know how I can use Cubase and Arturia MIDI Control Center at the same time?
I think there must be thousands of Customers stuck with the same common problem?

If not does anybody know a workaround from this angle? Is there an alternative Win 10 or 11 midi driver that is multi-client?
...and the native Win10 midi driver does not port share.

Thanks for any response

djskope

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 01:46:39 pm »
I found this possible solution. Do you think Arturia might speak to Tobias?

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/usbmididriver.html

djskope

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 02:03:34 pm »
Woah! it sounds like it might indeed be possible!!

Arturia did make a modification for the Microfreak in the past....

Hi tompox,
Moreover, if you're using it on a windows computer, we released a driver (embedded in the last midi control center version) which gives the ability to use Midi connection is a "multi-client" way.

Maybe they will do the same for the key and beatstep family if we all can let them know how useful it would be?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines