March 28, 2024, 12:46:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Latency of a DAC as a soundcard?  (Read 1056 times)

GoToAndromeda

• Apprentice
Latency of a DAC as a soundcard?
« on: June 23, 2020, 09:45:03 am »
My first post on the forum, sorry for off-topic :-)

I was wondering how would a headphone DAC work as a soundcard, for an example Audioquest Dragonfly or Soditer Type C to 3.5 mm Headphone Adapter. What latency do those headphone DACs have?

I came up with a crazy idea to set up Surface Go (m3 based) as my super-portable music idea sketching companion, it works very well software-wise, all Collection V synths work with acceptable CPU utilization, but latency of the build-in sound card is not good enough for fast playing (drums...).

So I was wondering if a USB-C DAC would do the job and give me acceptable latency. The interface should be USB-powered. I don't need any inputs, so I don't look at (bigger or more expensive) devices like Apogee or iRig series. I just want to play Arturia synths :-) With VMPK on the screen the Surface Go is as usable as an iPad, and unlike an iPad it's full scalable to my main/powerful PC which can run 100 synths and FX simultaneously, I sync all my Ableton Live projects via OneDrive (Arturia presets too 😉 between both PCs.

Does anybody have experience with DACs as soundcards?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines