April 25, 2024, 03:50:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LCD Quality  (Read 1349 times)

RobKeylab

LCD Quality
« on: June 19, 2020, 01:39:41 am »
A question about the MkII LCD Quality...

Hi all, I'm new. Just received my Keylab MkII after an eager 2 month wait for new stock. And first impression is... Just Wow!! Seemingly amazing build quality and unbelievable value with all the bundled software.
However...
The moment I switched it on, I sighed and wondered if I'd got a unit with a dodgy LCD.
From any angle of typical use, there's a green haze across the screen, possibly caused by two white/blue points of light on the extreme right hand side of the LCD.
I've attached a picture. Does it look familiar?
I've flagged it to the retailer and Arturia for their thoughts. I just thought I'd cast the net wider for user experience. Because obviously I'd like to know if this one isn't right. But if it's typical, I don't want the fuss of an exchange if it'll be no different.
I appreciate LCDs are best viewed square on. And i have some truly terrible screens on other manufacturers synths. This just seemed at odds with the overall build quality.
Otherwise I love this thing so far.
Yet to delve too deep though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:45:30 am by RobKeylab »

Spartacus

• Apprentice
Re: LCD Quality
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 12:39:35 am »
Here’s mine. Brand new too, so very frustrated. Did you ever get any resolution?

atchoo

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 12:55:11 am »
Wow. I've had the exact same LCD issues since the first day I got my KeyLab 49 mkII. There's a faint zombie green glow "behind" the blue light.
My theory is that they used cheap 2x16 LCD displays which are available with blue or green background + backlight. However, the internal backlight color tint of the "blue" models are different than the "green" models, simply to make the text readable.

I won't go into detail, but the blue displays have light/bright characters (negative layer), while the green models have black/blueish text. So if you switch the glass piece layer, you end up with a blue tinted display with the green background showing through in the areas that the backlight can't fully reach/illuminate.

The reason I know this, is because I did some experiments with different LCD displays on a Raspberry Pi and Arduino, with the exact same symptoms/result/issues as on the Keylab MKii.

I live in Norway and I ordered my keyboard directly from Arturia in France, so I never bothered to call support or anything. Just seemed like a lot of hassle with returning it and everything. However, it has bugged me since day 1, and it's the only reason why I rarely use that keyboard 😕

Spartacus

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 02:22:20 am »
The reason I believe there to be an issue having spoken to some knowledgeable chaps is that there is too much contrast. A 100 ohm or thereabouts resistor or perhaps a potentiometer wired into the lcd should solve the issue. It’s a lot of hassle though and not something we should have to deal with given it’s a high quality product. Another suggestion was to simply apply some anti glare or colored film to the display.  It’s a shame that Arturia did not factor in a contrast control into their firmware so at the very least we would have some level of control.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines