March 29, 2024, 08:09:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Digital Delay/Reverb  (Read 2468 times)

Mescalina

• Apprentice
Digital Delay/Reverb
« on: November 19, 2019, 12:29:33 pm »
I don’t know if these functions would be an overkill for the performance of the synth but I really feel they should be there without having to add an external hardware.
A digital Delay is the most important and a Reverb too would be great.

Trevor42

• Apprentice
Re: Digital Delay/Reverb
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:55:33 pm »
I dont see the point in added a inferior  reverb which will use up CPU when there are so many software improvements required for the MF.
Juno 6, Poly 61, Casio CZ-1, Moog MF-105M, Digtech Talker, Microfreak, Ipad (AUM), Pianotech, Modular and Ableton.

waxdoctor

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 03:32:50 pm »
I also would like to see a simple reverb (or delay).
Microfreak is also about mobility/portability(USB powered etc.) so a simple reverb algorithm would be perfect if possible(like in the volca modular e.g.)
I have a Microfreak because I can take it with me in my small backpack and a USB power bar.
I don't want to carry also an additional pedal to have this effect.
Of course, there are a lot of perfect reverb/delay pedals and I also own some, but again I would like to keep it simple.
But yes, the only question is how much CPU/DSP power it needs.
The control of the FX I could imagine to use e.g. SHIFT + TYPE for the FX type and SHIFT + WAVE /TIMBER / SHAPE for e.g. wet/dry / Para1 / Para2 etc.- again - only if such routings are possible...  ;D

waxdoctor

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 10:56:18 am »
The control of the FX I could imagine to use e.g. SHIFT + TYPE for the FX type and SHIFT + WAVE /TIMBER / SHAPE for e.g. wet/dry / Para1 / Para2 etc.- again - only if such routings are possible...  ;D

...or even in the utility menu... :)

Gambler

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 09:21:54 pm »
I think Korg has a reasonable compromise for this on their MiniLogues. A delay paraphonic mode. You press one key and the synth plays the same sound 4 times with slight delay and volume decrease. No extra DSP required, and yet it sounds really nice.

Thinkman

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:19:20 am »
Yes I believe Dave Smith did a similar note repeating thing on his Tempest drum machine

Roseweave

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 04:02:58 pm »
One thing to keep in mind is that the Microfreak is very useful as a musical sketchpad, and one of the things it does well is ambient sounds. It's hampered by the lack of delay/reverb.

I think people are overestimating the resources needed for this - we're not asking for a top tier impulse modeled verb or something - just something so we can round out our ambient patches a bit and get an idea of what they'll sound like when we process everything or run it through a pedal live. A delay effect, at the very least, would be incredibly simple, just a copy of the signal (ideally) with a simple lo-pass filter on it - analogue type delay can work in place of 'verb.

Also, remember, that a lot of your favourite records were made with crappier digital verb & delay than we'll get on this synth if they decide to do it.

It wouldn't kill the 'Freak or make it overly competitive with more expensive synths to have basic drive, delay and verb. The Paraphonic delay could be a great option for leads. The effects can just be stashed in the Utility menu as to keep the main synth stuff cleaner.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:05:44 pm by Roseweave »

planist

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 12:00:43 am »
+1 to drive, reverb and delay

+2 for a chorus (pseudo stereo using both outputs, line and headphones, if this is possible)

Roseweave

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 01:36:34 pm »
I'd also have to add that some of the models (like the KString) don't fully work without reverb anyway

erlsfield78

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 09:05:05 pm »
I think Korg has a reasonable compromise for this on their MiniLogues. A delay paraphonic mode. You press one key and the synth plays the same sound 4 times with slight delay and volume decrease. No extra DSP required, and yet it sounds really nice.
Minilogue has a midi delay you are just describing BUT it also has actual digital delay unit built in.
I agree effects would be using cpu otherwise meant for the synth. How bout we get more elaborate controls for AM/FM synthesis?

Airlane1979

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 05:34:40 pm »
Ah, yes, that takes me back to the 1980s Yamaha TX81Z FM synth module which had a similar function. Unlike the 4-voice Microfreak, it was a full 8 notes poly of 4 (not 2) operator FM and sounded monstrous in unison mode. Maybe I should buy one again...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines