March 28, 2024, 06:18:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: SOLVED: Ableton Midi Track Latency Issue  (Read 4258 times)

MADVILLA

• Apprentice
SOLVED: Ableton Midi Track Latency Issue
« on: June 15, 2020, 06:57:46 pm »
So I posted some weeks back about an issue of not being able to properly sync the KSP pro to Ableton's midi tracks. If I used the KSP's step sequencer to sequence a plugin or drum rack within Ableton for example, there was a latency issue where the audio was about 1 step late to the actual step position on the sequencer no matter what settings i was using. So this meant it was impossible to sync hardware instruments with software instruments on the KSP.

After some more experimentation after this new firmware upgrade, I realised that the issue was being caused by Ableton's 'delay compensation' option. If you have delay compensation turned on, the audio will always be delayed from the KSP's actual step position when sequencing Ableton midi tracks. So if you want to sequence hardware and software instruments together you will have to turn off Ableton's delay compensation. Another alternative solution would be to use the KSP as the master clock and slave Ableton + other hardware to it :)

johndoe

Re: SOLVED: Ableton Midi Track Latency Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 03:19:21 am »
So I posted some weeks back about an issue of not being able to properly sync the KSP pro to Ableton's midi tracks. If I used the KSP's step sequencer to sequence a plugin or drum rack within Ableton for example, there was a latency issue where the audio was about 1 step late to the actual step position on the sequencer no matter what settings i was using. So this meant it was impossible to sync hardware instruments with software instruments on the KSP.

After some more experimentation after this new firmware upgrade, I realised that the issue was being caused by Ableton's 'delay compensation' option. If you have delay compensation turned on, the audio will always be delayed from the KSP's actual step position when sequencing Ableton midi tracks. So if you want to sequence hardware and software instruments together you will have to turn off Ableton's delay compensation. Another alternative solution would be to use the KSP as the master clock and slave Ableton + other hardware to it :)

Why is it that some user on a random forum has to come up with an explanation like this, and that we don't find this basic information in the manual, I keep wondering about...

razzkazz

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:53:38 pm »
Even with delay compensation turned off, there is still a tiny amount of latency. You can overcome this by adjusting output sync's "MIDI Clock SYNC Delay". In my case, a setting of -25ms did the job. You can also leave delay compensation on and use the same method, the delay offset will need to increase, in my case to -91.5 ms.

These are not perfect solutions. If you have a sequence/arp playing in the KSP, when you first press play in Live the first note won't be in sync. Not a major issue in the studio, in a live situation, very annoying.

FYI, if you are syncing Live to the KSP you will need to offset the Input MIDI sync clock delay. Live is notoriously bad at syncing to external devices, when doing so you will see the tempo fluctuate in LIve.

Anyone come up with any other work arounds?

spnc

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 10:40:22 pm »
Even with delay compensation turned off, there is still a tiny amount of latency. You can overcome this by adjusting output sync's "MIDI Clock SYNC Delay". In my case, a setting of -25ms did the job. You can also leave delay compensation on and use the same method, the delay offset will need to increase, in my case to -91.5 ms.

These are not perfect solutions. If you have a sequence/arp playing in the KSP, when you first press play in Live the first note won't be in sync. Not a major issue in the studio, in a live situation, very annoying.

FYI, if you are syncing Live to the KSP you will need to offset the Input MIDI sync clock delay. Live is notoriously bad at syncing to external devices, when doing so you will see the tempo fluctuate in LIve.

Anyone come up with any other work arounds?

Are you saying there's still a delay in Ableton through MIDI, even after the last update? That's totally UNACCEPTABLE! What kind of Midi controller would have such a delay in the business lol that would mean such company to go bankrupt OMG Arturia you really have to invest in higher capabilities with your  products you're not fair to your customers what is going on !!!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines