April 25, 2024, 11:21:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to do a loop?  (Read 7895 times)

chilly_bang

How to do a loop?
« on: June 13, 2020, 12:58:18 pm »
Even got Minilab MKII to my 13 birthday, and looked into some tutorials, but can't figure aout, how to bundle a music phrase to a pad to make it playing in a loop.

In tutorials i've seen it looks very easy: one taps a pad, plays something, and after tapping twice the phrase is playing in a loop. What i miss?

I'm on the very beginning of the learning curve - please help.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 03:35:58 pm by chilly_bang »

LilSmeag

• Apprentice
Re: How to do a loop?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 08:25:29 pm »
Hi there,
It seems to me that you have seen someone use the Ableton Live mode on the Minilab Mk2, which is enabled when selecting the 8th bank (on the controller, press Shift + Pad8 ). This mode maps pads and encoders to specific Ableton controls; the pads will trigger clips inside session view. When a track is armed, triggering an empty clip will start recording and if you press the pad when the clip is recording, the recording will stop and playback will begin. Keep in mind that the pads control only tracks 1-8. Since you have bought the controller, you have probably activated your free copy of Ableton Live Lite which is limited to only 8 tracks, so you don't have to worry about that. The 1st row of pads control the line of clips (also called a session) which is highlighted, and the 2nd row will control the next line. The pads' leds will also fire up to represent the clip's state.

For starters, you should learn as much as possible about Ableton to get a decent understanding of the workflow. Everything will become much simpler to understand afterwards.

Good luck!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines