March 29, 2024, 02:34:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: A preset for a piano?  (Read 3377 times)

mkoch

• Apprentice
A preset for a piano?
« on: June 08, 2020, 11:38:33 pm »
Hi,

can anybody share a preset for a piano?

Thanks,
Michael

Lunatic Sound

Re: A preset for a piano?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:25:52 pm »
I don't think, you will be happy with a monophonic Synth if you want to play piano.

Or am I getting you wrong? Are you looking to emulate an acoustic piano on the MxB?

mkoch

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 03:09:12 pm »
I don't think, you will be happy with a monophonic Synth if you want to play piano.

Or am I getting you wrong? Are you looking to emulate an acoustic piano on the MxB?

Yes, I want to emulate an acoustic piano as good as possible. I have set the Matrixbrute to paraphonic mode so it can play three notes simultaneously. All three oscillators are set to 100% triangular wave. No modulations so far.
Envelope 2: Velo = 75%, Attack = 0%, Decay = 50%, Sustain = 0%, Release = 50%.
I'm unsure what are the best settings for Envelope 1 and the filters.

Michael

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 02:48:21 pm »
Well, I have to admit, I tried it a bit and I have not been able to find anything that would even come close to resembling a piano.

Even though I still think, the MxB is a really bad choice if you want an acoustic piano sound, it is an interesting challenge and I would be interested to see, if someone has a better idea.

Sorry for not being much help though :)

endreola

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 03:23:22 pm »
Replicating piano timbre is fairly complex.  You can try mimicking it using a variety of online content, like in Gordon Reid's SOS article Synthesizing Pianos (https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesizing-pianos), where he breaks the sound down into functional blocks.

mkoch

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 05:16:22 pm »
Replicating piano timbre is fairly complex.  You can try mimicking it using a variety of online content, like in Gordon Reid's SOS article Synthesizing Pianos (https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesizing-pianos), where he breaks the sound down into functional blocks.

Thanks for the link, that's very interesting.

Michael

knasser

• Apprentice
    • Synth Rev
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 05:19:30 pm »
I have something that resembles a piano as much as possible, I will share the preset sometime tomorrow. You might be able to tweak it a little bit to improve the sound.
Please visit my page at https://www.synthrev.com/synths/arturia-matrixbrute.html and post a review. Thanks!

mkoch

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 11:19:06 am »
I have something that resembles a piano as much as possible, I will share the preset sometime tomorrow. You might be able to tweak it a little bit to improve the sound.

I'd like to see it!

Michael

Processaurus

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 05:54:40 am »
It’s a losing game trying to make a piano with subtractive synthesis, but come to think of it Roland’s GR700 guitar synth (and mks30 rack synth) managed to do a basic but recognizable honky tonk piano preset. Unfortunately no way to reverse engineer the sound, but I think it had something to do with their special oscillator cross modulation on an otherwise typical 2 oscillator synth. That and the Juno 106/ Boss Dimension C type chorus, that pitches one copy of the sound up, and pitches another copy down, to make a “motionless’ chorus that sounds like detune.

knasser

• Apprentice
    • Synth Rev
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 08:57:21 pm »
Here are two Piano patches, I hope you like them. Please make sure your MatrixBrute is well tuned and warmed up. I am still tweaking them. I am also working on other classic instrument patches.

Please visit my page at https://www.synthrev.com/synths/arturia-matrixbrute.html and post a review. Thanks!

knasser

• Apprentice
    • Synth Rev
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 05:46:34 pm »
Here is my latest piano patch after some serious tweaking. I think it sounds pretty darn good.

The MatrixBrute is no ordinary subtractive synth, just use very fine tweaking (none of that fast knob turning), and you will discover sounds that you never though possible. Be patient and listen closely while tweaking.

As I mentioned previously I am working on other classical patches which I may share or release as a bundle.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:49:16 pm by knasser »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines