March 29, 2024, 02:12:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Alternative tunings  (Read 846 times)

mudpeople

Alternative tunings
« on: June 04, 2020, 12:52:33 am »
Probably not the hugest of priorities but it would be really cool if the Keystep Pro could be set to alternate tuning systems, such as >12TET, asymmetrical octaves, just intonation etc.  I realize that the 12 tone layout of the keys might make it somewhat awkward to implement, but I think, at least I personally feel, it would be something I'd love to try playing with. 

Just thinking of specific Max for Live devices I've seen, it shouldn't be too hard.  One m4l device lets you tweak each of the 12(TET) tones individually, which apparently just works via pitch bend, so it seems like it shouldn't be all that difficult to integrate into the KSP. 

amaury

• Apprentice
Re: Alternative tunings
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:28:18 pm »
+1

Though I have a hard time imagining how this would be supposed to work with sending MIDI to a synth. If monophonic, each midi note sent could use a pitch end nut when polyphonic, the synth would need to be able to receive pitch information per note, which is mpe territory, isn't it?

It may be more realistic to choose instruments that are able to be played with alternate tunings. My sub 37 is, for example.

Best,
Amaury

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Alternative tunings
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 09:25:45 am »
Only way that could work on the KSP is if you are running a CV synth.  MIDI only sends a note number and not data as to which pitch that number refers to (that is decided at the synth end).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines