April 23, 2024, 01:29:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: When to Use Which Synth?  (Read 2646 times)

gabrielrf1

• Apprentice
When to Use Which Synth?
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:34:09 pm »
I'm a relative beginner to sound design, but I know enough to create patches on most synths in the V Collection. Since many synths in the collection have the capability to create very similar sounds in the same way, I'm having trouble understanding which synths to choose for different sounds. I suppose I'm suffering from having too many options with the collection.

The SEM and the Minimoog, for instance, have very similar capabilities. If I wanted to create a bass sound, the sounds I could get from these synths would be very similar (to my ear, at least) provided I designed the sound in the same way. The SEM has the benefit of a great sequencer section, but why would I choose to use the sequencer on the SEM when I could use the more powerful sequencer on the ARP 2600? I understand that a lot of this has to do with personal preference, but some synths are still objectively better at some things than others.

If there is a list somewhere of what each synth is best used for let me know! Any advice on choosing a synth to use in different situations would be great.

LBH

Re: When to Use Which Synth?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 07:30:27 pm »
I actually find a topic like this interesting. But i don't think it's as simple and straight forward as the answers you seem to want.

SEM Vs 8 voice programmer can in example have 8 different modulations. You can in example also modulate resonance. ARP 2600 Vs sequencer have more steps and work as 2 modules. I think both is powerful, but there are differences in possibilities.

I can create different sounds in different synth. SEM V and Mini V can create sounds the other can't.
SEMs have 2 OSCs and 1 Sub OSC. You can't have all tuned to the same octave like you can with Mini Vs 3 OSCs.

To me questions/ a topic like this also show that the quality of the emulation of the originals unique signature sound and features is important. I think more can be done in that direction.

But it's also about finding out, what the differences is both in the sound and in the features, if the differences is needed in the sound one wan't.
If it does'nt matter to you, if you in example use SEM, ARP 2600 or Mini V, then choose the one you like to work with.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 09:39:42 am »
This is where real synthesisers differ from emulated synthesisers.

In the real world, not only does e.g. an SEM and ARP2600 have completely different feature sets, they fundamentally sound different, and that's why you would choose one over the other for any given task. Many of Arturia's synths are built around the same TAE engine, so they share a 'house' sound that's kind of like the instrument they are emulating but equally just as like the other in-house TAE instruments. So it becomes less of a case of choosing to use an ARP2600 instead of an SEM (or vice versa) because of its inherent sound character and more a case of using whichever VST has the features you need in order to realise the sound you envision in your head.

The exceptions to this rule are the newer synths introduced from V Collection 5 onwards, but pretty much all Arturia's legacy synths found in V Collection 4 and earlier (Mini V, ARP2600, CS80 V, Jup-8V, Matrix-12V, Modular V, Prophet V, SEM V) all fundamentally sound the same, other than they have 'model specific' features which differentiate them.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

JuanMico

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 12:54:24 pm »
As the OP already hints at, this is just a case of option anxiety. Bear in mind these synths were super expensive and you'd be lucky to own more than one or two at a time, unless you were rich or a professional. So you'd learn them inside out and get to know their individual personality.
Now we have them all a few clicks away and get the impression they're all pretty much the same. So I guess the answer is pick a few your favourites and take plenty of time to really learn them individually, and your question will answer itself.

gabrielrf1

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 04:54:07 pm »
So I guess the answer is pick a few your favourites and take plenty of time to really learn them individually, and your question will answer itself.
That’s a good point! I’m beginning to understand the differences as I play with them more.

HJB

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 08:08:45 pm »
My experience is that, when playing around with my favorite analog synths (Matrix 12V, Mono V an sometimes the Prophet V), they all have very different characteristics. Maybe not as explicit as the original ones. But good enough to make a difference.
I , for example, like the filter sections of the Martix 12V and the Mono V. And i manage to create unique sounds with them.
What might trouble the experience of the factory presets is that most of them make extensive use of the filter sections.
If you compare the sounds without adding any effect you will hear the differences.
As others said before: The software synths aren't the real thing. But for the money they offer a wide variety of sound creation.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines