March 28, 2024, 09:00:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Pads on MIDI Channel 10 by default or browse controls in USER modes  (Read 6095 times)

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
There's no way to set the Pads MIDI Channel when in Analog Lab (or DAW) modes.
Pads in these read-only modes are set by default to MIDI Channel 1, the same as the rest of the controls and keyboard for Analog Lab, rendering the Pads useless when controlling AL4.

If set to a different MIDI Channel (usually Ch10) it would free Pads to be routed to another instrument while still controlling AL4 in Analog Lab mode.

An alternative to this factory default would be to allow the user to set the Pads MIDI Channel in Analog Lab mode to whatever channel it needs to be.

Another alternative is to allow customization of the browsing controls section (Cat/Char, Preset, <-, -> buttons and Dial) allowing a copy from Analog Lab read-only config into a USER config which then would allow to change the Pads MIDI Channels while still allowing full control of the Analog Lab instrument(s) through the browsing controls.

gphantom

Re: Pads on MIDI Channel 10 by default or browse controls in USER modes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 12:20:30 am »
Check out the MIDI CONTROL CENTER - There you'll be able to assign whatever channel you wish to the pads as well as which keys to assign to each pad.
I know, we're guys and don't know how to read manuals and stuff...

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 02:24:29 am »
Thanks but... are you able to set the Pads to MIDI Channel 10 while in Analog Lab/DAW mode?

Because that's the issue here :)
There's no way to set the Pads MIDI Channel when in Analog Lab (or DAW) modes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:02:10 am by Koshdukai »

gphantom

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 03:55:17 am »
The way I did it in Ableton Live, is to create an ANALOG LAB vst2 in track 1 and set it to Channel 10 (which is the pads)  and on track 2, another ANALOG LAB vst2 and set it to Channel 1 (for the keyboard) - From there, you can record to either track 1 or 2 (only one track at a time)
I had to use Midi Control Center and program USER 1 map (since for some reason, the Analog Lab and DAW mapping seem to have a problem which I'll have to look into this later on) - The pads are set to Midi Channel 10 and the keyboard to channel 1 (or user - Which allows you to change the channel from the keyboard)

In stand alone mode, you can also set which channel you want - At the bottom next to "MIDI Controller" there's the setting logo on the left.  This allows you to set the midi channel to control Analog Lab, the fader mode, the knob acceleration as well as which controller is going to control the faders/knobs etc.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 10:49:56 pm »
ANALOG LAB vst2 in track 1 and set it to Channel 10 (which is the pads)
and on track 2, another ANALOG LAB vst2 and set it to Channel 1 (for the keyboard)
Sure, but that's only possible in USER mode :)

So, maybe I didn't explain myself properly the 1st and 2nd time:
As soon as you use USER mode, you loose all the Analog Lab functionality of controlling the preset filtering and selecting, because the browse control section becomes inactive on the KL Essential.

I'm able to do whatever I need in USER mode but need to use the GUI (mouse/arrow keys+ENTER) for preset browsing... but doing it this way, what's the point of using a Key Lab if I'm going to loose the tight hardware integration between the controller and the Analog Lab (or any of the VCollection instruments) ?

The other KeyLabs (non-Essential ones) all have the Pads on Channel 10 while in Analog Lab mode.
The KeyLab essential doesn't and that's exactly what I'm pointing out here :)

I'd like to use the KL Essential (in Analog Lab) to control the Analog Lab 4 VST while using the PADs to play another VST.

I can do this in USER mode but I loose AL4's preset navigation and category filtering.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:59:18 pm by Koshdukai »

gphantom

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 08:08:31 pm »
I've read that you can import the Analog Lab map into User map so that you keep all the controls.  The next thing is to map the DAW controls for the DAW.  That's about the best thing I can reccommend.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 09:18:45 pm »
Yes, thanks, I mentioned that already as well, since I'm aware of that possibility :)
Another alternative is to allow customization of the browsing controls section (Cat/Char, Preset, <-, -> buttons and Dial) allowing a copy from Analog Lab read-only config into a USER config which then would allow to change the Pads MIDI Channels while still allowing full control of the Analog Lab instrument(s) through the browsing controls.

If you get the browsing controls (through Analog Lab mode) you can't have PADs on MIDI Channel 10.
If you get PADs on MIDI Channel 10 (through USER mode) you can't have the browsing controls.

That's the issue.

That's the reason why I posted this thread titled:
«Pads on MIDI Channel 10 by default or browse controls in USER modes»

That's the thing one or the other proposed solutions (in the original post) would fix.

Currently, there's no way to get both.
This is exactly THE issue I'm referring to here :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:25:29 pm by Koshdukai »

RonanKeryell

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 03:39:04 am »
@Koshdukai I agree with you, I have the same problem and this is impossible to use efficiently both the pads and the jog-wheel. :-(
Any progress from Arturia on this?
Is this a bug or a secret feature that we do not understand? It would be interesting to have some feedback from Arturia at least...
This seems to be a problem trivial to fix: changing a value in a source file, recompile and ship a new firmware...

Otherwise I noticed that the pad are not transposed and are between C1 and G1.
So, a "solution" is to always use an up-transposition so the keyboard start at C2 or higher, transform the C1-G1 to whatever I want, remap back the other notes to whatever I want.
Since I am on Linux I can program this myself but this is painful and leaves only 3 transpositions levels on the 49 key keyboard (so even less for the 61 and 88 key keyboards... :-( ).

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 12:11:30 pm »
No feedback yet, unfortunately.

One would able to deal fine with the lack of transpose on the pads (at least on DAWs), as long as those are set on a different channel.

RonanKeryell

• Apprentice
Otherwise I am working in DAW mode to have the JogDial working and the pads on a different MIDI channel while not using a DAW.
But then the Knob 9 is not working... :-( Curious why they disabled it in DAW mode...
Is there a mode where we can use all the features of the keyboard at the same time?

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 09:14:35 am »
Otherwise I am working in DAW mode to have the JogDial working and the pads on a different MIDI channel while not using a DAW.
But then the Knob 9 is not working... :-( Curious why they disabled it in DAW mode...
Is there a mode where we can use all the features of the keyboard at the same time?

Only the "Analog Lab" mode but then the PADs will be working as MIDI Channel 1 :(

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines