March 29, 2024, 01:06:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MPE: Seaboard and Pigment  (Read 4449 times)

omereilam

MPE: Seaboard and Pigment
« on: January 21, 2020, 05:39:09 pm »
Hello,

I've been using the ROLI Seaboard controller together with Pigments since I saw that it was supporting MPE.
I was trying to map the 'Press' dimension of touch (https://support.roli.com/support/solutions/articles/36000019157-what-is-5d-touch-) to the sustain of the notes so that I will be able to dynamically control the volume of each note after playing it.
So far I haven't been able to figure out how to do it and the Pigments Manual doesn't have much info about MPE.
I would appreciate you help!

Thank you,
Omer

LBH

Re: MPE: Seaboard and Pigment
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 06:17:44 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

As far as i can tell from the link you post, then the Roli Press correspond to aftertouch or pressure. So don't it control the aftertouch modulator in Pigments? If so, then it should control anything Pigments Aftertouch modulator is set to control. Is'nt that the case?

omereilam

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 06:42:37 pm »
Hi and thank for the warm welcome :)

Yes, that was exactly it – problem solved!

Thanks again,
Omer

Max0

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 07:45:07 pm »
I’ve had the same problem.  While the Seaboard sends CC 74 as a modulator for the third dimension of MPE (slide on the Roli), it doesn’t seem to be possible to assign key release to any Pigments parameter, and I’m still unsure whether strike in Roli is automatically assigned to velocity in Pigments.  As for aftertouch responding to pressure on the Seaboard, I’ve had no luck at all, even when the aftertouch parameter is selected as a mod source.  I’ve gone back and forth with Arturia support on this, but they don’t seem to understand the problem.  I asked them to identify which patches in Pigments were mapped for MPE by the factory, and which CC’s were implemented,  but they didn’t respond to that request.  I also requested that MPE implementation and examples be added to the manual, as there is very little information available there.  Can you give me an example of a factory patch in Pigments that you have found responds to all 5 dimensions transmitted by the Seaboard?  Thanks.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:31:41 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums Max0.

I suggest you read the link the OP have posted.

Roli Strike = Velocity and it's not a Midi CC - In pigments You can see the Velocity modulator in the center modulator strip named VELO. Also Velocity is in example a choice for the AMP MOD.

Roli Press = Aftertouch and it's not a Midi CC - In pigments You can see the Aftertouch modulator in the center modulator strip named AT.

Roli Glide = Pitchbend and it's not a Midi CC - IN Pigments the PitchWheel only modulate Pitch. You can set the Bend amount.

Roli Slide = A midi CC modulator. The set MIDI CC is in generel Midi used for Filter Cutoff.
If you set it to Midi CC#01, then it wheel control the Modwheel. - In pigments You can see the Modwheel modulator in the center modulator strip named MW.
If you set it to Midi CC#11, then it will control generel Midi Expression. - In pigments You can see the Expression modulator in the center modulator strip named EXP.
This is just examples.
I suggest you learn about Generel Midi CC and about Midi learn in Pigments and other applications

Roli Lift = Release Velocity and it's not a Midi CC. Pigments does not support this. Very few synths on the marked support this modulator. I think that of Arturias applications it's only Matrix 12 V and Synclavier V that has Release Velocity modulator.

Any of the above modulators only does audioble modulation, if the modulators is set to modulate something in the sound, that you can hear.
So you can search any sound in Pigments (An application), if the modulators is set to modulate anything. You can apply something yourself in any sound, if you just learn how to use Pigments (An application) - including how to use the modulators and apply modulation.

Be sure to activate MPE in Pigments bottom toolbar, if that's what you wan't to use.

Please keep in mind that Arturia have nothing to do with ROLI, and that ROLI just can  do MPE. There is no reason Arturias manuals shall mention ROLI. It's up to you to learn about the above.
Asking which presets that use what does'nt really make sense, as i hope the above also show. I can say, that in addition to what you can see on the GUI, then many presets has comments of what they use. But they may only tell the most important ones for the sound, if about any modulators.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:27:33 pm by LBH »

Max0

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 07:11:57 pm »
Thanks, very helpful, if slightly snarky tone. It would make sense to include some of that in the manual.

Of course it [u does[/u]make sense for Atruria to give some guidance about using specific MPE controllers by various manufacturers )Roli, Linnstrument, KMI, Geoshred etc.) since MPE capability is a selling point in their products and it certainly improves users’ experience, which is correlated with reputation and sales.

Deconstruction presets is a valuable way to learn about an instrument and its capabilities, so it would be helpful if Arturia labeled factory presets that are designed for MPE, as, for instance Cypher 2 does. 

apprentisorcier

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 09:30:54 pm »
Of course it [u does[/u]make sense for Atruria to give some guidance about using specific MPE controllers by various manufacturers )Roli, Linnstrument, KMI, Geoshred etc.) since MPE capability is a selling point in their products and it certainly improves users’ experience, which is correlated with reputation and sales.

Agreed, I'm evaluating Arturia's products among other synths and I'm definitely looking for ease of use with the Seaboard. So far for example it seems I'm having to jump through hoop to get analog lab to do what I want with the glide (and faithful rendering of what I want to do is probably outright impossible) and that in itself is a reason for me to look elsewhere.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines