April 19, 2024, 11:08:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Totally worthless piece of hardware  (Read 3518 times)

nateknowswine

Totally worthless piece of hardware
« on: May 26, 2020, 12:24:34 am »
Doesn't keep proper time, everything is buggy, can't even be used as a controller? Can't sequence for anything. Totally a $400 brick that I will be returning. Even posting this is some kind of ordeal.

johndoe

Re: Totally worthless piece of hardware
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 07:32:30 am »
Well the official teasing advertisement looked good lol... but yeah agreed, nice scam so far, especially for the price. This deserves an award for sure!

al80

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 12:46:40 pm »
+1

konjurer

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:03:23 am »
I've also had a lot of problems but it's working better after reinstalling the firmware and doing a complete power down. Still seems riddled with bugs but I can at least see the potential of the unit now. 

Overand

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 06:37:38 pm »
Doesn't keep proper time, everything is buggy, can't even be used as a controller? Can't sequence for anything. Totally a $400 brick that I will be returning. Even posting this is some kind of ordeal.

As another KSP user, I'd love to hear reports of your actual issues. Yes, there are bugs, and it's been frustrating, but I don't think I agree with the above. In the thread you started titled Dumb Question from a noob, you described your setup a bit, but didn't follow up with folks. From what you listed there, @megamarkd pointed out some quirks with the other hardware you have, which could be contributing to issues.

I'm mostly interested in "doesn't keep proper time" and "can't even be used as a controller?" I've maaaaayyyybe seen timing issues, but it's hard to know for sure that it's not from the other parts of my setup.

And I've been using this as a MIDI and CV controller just fine. I *haven't* used it as a USB controller, though. (Unfortunately, even with power applied to both the Keystep Pro and the USB adapter itself, my ipad Pro 9.7 (1st gen) says it requires too much power, which is a shame. Perhaps fixable?)

LarsDaniel

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 10:50:39 am »

As another KSP user, I'd love to hear reports of your actual issues. Yes, there are bugs, and it's been frustrating, but I don't think I agree with the above. In the thread you started titled Dumb Question from a noob, you described your setup a bit, but didn't follow up with folks. From what you listed there, @megamarkd pointed out some quirks with the other hardware you have, which could be contributing to issues.

Regarding timing: Using midi via USB has been a total no-go for me because very bad timing. Midi via DIN has been working fine, but required a rethinking of midi routing, since I had expected midi via USB to work.

I'm mostly interested in "doesn't keep proper time" and "can't even be used as a controller?" I've maaaaayyyybe seen timing issues, but it's hard to know for sure that it's not from the other parts of my setup.

And I've been using this as a MIDI and CV controller just fine. I *haven't* used it as a USB controller, though. (Unfortunately, even with power applied to both the Keystep Pro and the USB adapter itself, my ipad Pro 9.7 (1st gen) says it requires too much power, which is a shame. Perhaps fixable?)

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 03:27:07 pm »
Hello.
We released the update bring various workflow improvements and a great amount of bug fixes.
I'm curious to read if it helped you solve your issue.
Best
Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

iktomi

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 09:54:29 pm »
I use mine with a Tasty Chips GR-1 (in USB), a Korg Minilogue XD Module (in midi), a Korg M3 + Radias (in midi) all at the same time, and I'm waiting for more gear... and so far the only bug I experienced was one note not going off after turning hold off.
Bugs comes and go, some have more than others, but you have to be sure about the reality of issues before pointing out the KSP, especially if you present yourself as novice. (if so, you are also novice in origin of issues in your setup)

DespairBear

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 11:45:43 pm »

This isn't a very useful post in general.  Seems like you're blowing off steam without being specific.  "Everything is buggy" is a $h!tpost statement and provides zero feedback to the developers.

I personally haven't encountered very many issues with the most recent firmware.  Most of what I've encountered is "this functionality doesn't operate quite as expected in this particular use case" but even those have been pretty minimal.  Report the issues as you find them so they get fixed.  These sorts of things are common in newer hardware. 

I swear, it's like everyone is turning into whiny manbabies with little to no understanding of the development process.  If you don't want to deal with bugs then don't make computer music lol.  Even the 800+ dollar gear I've purchased within the first 6 months release has had some bugs, it's a part of anything with software.  This project is clearly not going to just be abandoned so relax. 

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 01:29:38 am »
I swear, it's like everyone is turning into whiny manbabies with little to no understanding of the development process.  If you don't want to deal with bugs then don't make computer music lol.  Even the 800+ dollar gear I've purchased within the first 6 months release has had some bugs, it's a part of anything with software. 

This is a standalone hardware sequencer, not some softsynth or DAW on an incremental release schedule.   This also was not sold as an early access product which it clearly is.  The level of bugs make it unfit for purpose if you had any intention of using it live. 

This project is clearly not going to just be abandoned so relax.

For comparison, the Beatstep Pro was last updated 2 years ago despite still being actively sold and marketted.  Arturia has not established much if any trust.

DespairBear

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 04:49:30 am »
I swear, it's like everyone is turning into whiny manbabies with little to no understanding of the development process.  If you don't want to deal with bugs then don't make computer music lol.  Even the 800+ dollar gear I've purchased within the first 6 months release has had some bugs, it's a part of anything with software. 

This is a standalone hardware sequencer, not some softsynth or DAW on an incremental release schedule.   This also was not sold as an early access product which it clearly is.  The level of bugs make it unfit for purpose if you had any intention of using it live. 

This project is clearly not going to just be abandoned so relax.

For comparison, the Beatstep Pro was last updated 2 years ago despite still being actively sold and marketted.  Arturia has not established much if any trust.

As a developer I wouldn't consider this early access.  Standalone hardware with a digital brain is prone to the same expectations of incremental improvements post-launch as software, the only difference is that there are analog components which the software interacts with.  My Disting EX has way more problems than this thing does, but again firmware updates are still coming and I can still do a lot with it so I'll stay away from what I know are outstanding issues, report issues as is, be aware of them and if they are a blocking factor for me and aren't being addressed than not go with that particular solution.  This product has only been out for about 5 months and there have been a significant amount of bug fixes in that time frame so the tantrum just seems sort of absurd especially given the relatively frequent firmware updates in that time frame.

I approach electronic instruments the same way I do any digital development library/asset.  If it serves my purposes, then great.  If there are blocking issues, then report the issue and try to get some confirmation it will be dealt with.  The OP didn't do that, he created an account to throw a tantrum and didn't report any specific issue.  At the very least a listing of issues encountered would serve both the devs and prospective buyers as it will give them both insight into the shortcomings of this particular product.  You can vent your frustration AND specifically describe what issues you encountered.  First thing you do in development before using a library for instance is to check the bug reports and last time things were updated/addressed.

I just think if you are going to make music that relies on computers then you should expect to have to do some investigating/debugging and report said issues at one point or another.  The post was pointless and is better suited to a review than a technical support thread.  Coming on a forum that's meant for problem solving and bug reporting to throw a tantrum just seems like a waste of time.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:55:51 am by DespairBear »

iktomi

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 06:30:29 pm »

The KSP was also meant to be played with a computer.
But ok, despite being myself a "full hardware" freak, I can face the fact that this gear is still partially "computer-ish" (it's a complexe electronical that is far beyond a simple analog synth), and even if we can always rage about the fact that it may have not been "stress tested" enough, no gear nowadays with this level of electronic -computer at its core- goes out without bugs... and updates !
You can check, even big ones like the lasts digital workstations, as the Roland Fantom 8, Korg Prologue, Minilogue XD, The Wavestate, my small but powerful Tasty Chips GR-1, even digital pedal effects can have frimware updates now.
I'm waiting for a Elta Music Solar 50, which may have no bugs and probably have not any update : it's a full analog.
I'm also waiting for the Osmose from ExpressiveE, and I bet, despite the experience and master level of dev from both ExpressiveE and Haken for the Eagan Matrix, it will have probable bugs and updates, and I'm ok with that ! (imagine how foolish I am, I even have peordered it long before it was even simply out of the prototype state)

And it's not new neither a secret at all, so blaming developpers after buying is either being really naive today, or kind of dishonest (and forcing the odds to jump into the blaming stance in a way).

PS : I never said I like to have new stuff full of bug, I only say that's very common and hard to ignore for years and years, and you have to always keep in mind that either you buy a gear in the exact state it is the moment you do so (and never count on any promise), or you make a bet about upgrades and hotfixes, but you can't really say that's a surprise if something is not that operational so early after the release.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:35:42 pm by iktomi »

Jan Juno

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 08:17:11 pm »
I mentioned it in another topic but it fits here also.

Please establish a scrum process within your company. It will pay off in:

Frequent updates - Happy Users
Transparency - Stop of: Why this, Why that, Stupid , bla bla. Questions/Feedback
High Quality stable solid product - Which company didn't want that, hugh
Establishing a proper framework - Your product will fit into a bigger picture of your companys vision
Develop what is needed - Hey spare some money
Risk Management, have cost under controll, i can't stop...

And that you need UX-Design. And research might find you the right way to not only solve problems but to create new products out of it.

Everything else is just boring.

GEran21

• progressive axle radio
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 10:05:26 pm »

The KSP was also meant to be played with a computer.
But ok, despite being myself a "full hardware" freak, I can face the fact that this gear is still partially "computer-ish" (it's a complexe electronical that is far beyond a simple analog synth), and even if we can always rage about the fact that it may have not been "stress tested" enough, no gear nowadays with this level of electronic -computer at its core- goes out without bugs... and updates !
You can check, even big ones like the lasts digital workstations, as the Roland Fantom 8, Korg Prologue, Minilogue XD, The Wavestate, my small but powerful Tasty Chips GR-1, even digital pedal effects can have frimware updates now.
I'm waiting for a Elta Music Solar 50, which may have no bugs and probably have not any update : it's a full analog.
I'm also waiting for the Osmose from ExpressiveE, and I bet, despite the experience and master level of dev from both ExpressiveE and Haken for the Eagan Matrix, it will have probable bugs and updates, and I'm ok with that ! (imagine how foolish I am, I even have peordered it long before it was even simply out of the prototype state)

And it's not new neither a secret at all, so blaming developpers after buying is either being really naive today, or kind of dishonest (and forcing the odds to jump into the blaming stance in a way).

PS : I never said I like to have new stuff full of bug, I only say that's very common and hard to ignore for years and years, and you have to always keep in mind that either you buy a gear in the exact state it is the moment you do so (and never count on any promise), or you make a bet about upgrades and hotfixes, but you can't really say that's a surprise if something is not that operational so early after the release.

I have the Minilogue XD and I have some problems with tempo. Yes of course it`s problems with frimware updates.

Korg Minilogue XD + Digitech Studio S100
More information - https://progressiveaxleradio.com/korg-minilogue-xd

YOUTUBE>> https://youtu.be/zi0PCnSa_9E <<
INSTAGRAM>> http://instagr.am/p/CfBeJbLg-I9 <<
Synthesizers, Effect Processors, VSTi & VST >> https://progressiveaxleradio.com <<

joegrant413

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2022, 10:49:44 pm »
The most important things that it does well:
- Provide multiple tracks to separate channels
- Record patterns
- Make it easy to sequence and not stare at a computer
- Make me feel like I'm primarily playing and not programming
- Nice instrument feel

That's what I bought the KSP for, and I'm more than satisfied. The bugs I've encountered are for secondary features I wasn't even aware before reading the manual. Do I wish bugs were not there and fixed sooner? Yep. But so far I'm happy with the KSP.

My two cents.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines