March 29, 2024, 05:27:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Is it possible to “Step Edit” silently while running?  (Read 1909 times)

Overand

• Apprentice
Is it possible to “Step Edit” silently while running?
« on: May 22, 2020, 04:37:43 am »
OK - this seems like it should be an obvious no-brainer, but I've been unable to figure out a way to do this, via settings, menus, Midi Control Center, reading the manual, etc. (And, my MI Rings arrived today and it's past 11 PM, so, I may have missed stuff).

With a sequence playing (such as one might do during a performance), I want to be able to edit the note in a given step (via "Step Edit") and NOT have that note also PLAY when I tap it.

In other words, I'd like to be able to edit a sequence in step edit, when it's running, without having to get the timing right so I don't just have a random-ish note sound whenever I'm trying to edit.

Having a step-edit function is much less useful if you still have to hit the notes just right if you're using it during a performance. So, I figure I must be missing something, but I've tried:
  • Shift-step edit
  • Holding down the step when hitting the note
  • Trying to do step-editing in "Record" mode rather than playback mode. (Step edit turns off)
  • Going into record mode and holding down the step button then hitting the note (works the same
I feel stupid here - it seems like this should be a no-brainer. Hell, there's even a feature to do this on my Korg Electribe 2/Sampler. (I don't recall how, but I think it involves holding down the "step edit" or such button when hitting the drum pad). Is this actually a missing feature here? I hope I'm just missing something!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Is it possible to “Step Edit” silently while running?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 04:59:06 am »
Go into step edit, select the step you want to edit then use the Pitch dial to change the note played.  The note you are changing to will be displayed on the LED's above the keys and it will not sound until the next time the pattern reaches that step.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Overand

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 05:05:37 am »
Well, that’s not ideal, but it’ll work for now, I think!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 05:19:51 am »
Which firmware are you running?  I'm pretty sure all the firmware's I've use have allowed the player to silently change the notes of a step by holding a step and hitting a key.  I just checked that was the case and it worked flawlessly.  I also checked that entering step-edit mode while running and hitting a key changes the pitch of the step and it too is working.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Overand

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 03:25:36 pm »
It was current as of a few days ago I think, but, it’s worth noting that I’ve been using it for CV mostly - that’s  where I had this behavior. I’ll check my firmware version when I’m home!

What version are you on?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 02:40:18 am »
It was current as of a few days ago I think, but, it’s worth noting that I’ve been using it for CV mostly - that’s  where I had this behavior.

Ah right.  I've been running with MIDI and a Nifty Case doing the MIDI to CV conversion.  I'll have to try editing steps using the CV out later.

Overand

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 11:11:58 pm »
Firmware: 1.1.7.473 AKA latest downloadable 2020-05-23/today. [Firmware itself dated 2020-04-09]
I also checked that entering step-edit mode while running and hitting a key changes the pitch of the step and it too is working.
Oh, that functionality works fine - it's just that it also plays that note as I press it.

I'm not able to replicate the "hold a step and hit a key" for silent edits you mentioned earlier. Here's a video I recorded showing the behavior I get - https://youtu.be/LbLiVZbEsws. I did it with a MIDI device this time to get us on the same sort of config.

(Also, turning the pitch knob does work as expected, so I do have a usable workaround. It's less intuitive/immediate than what I'd prefer, but, thanks a ton for pointing it out! You got me functional again with the workaround.)

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:57:43 am »
Firmware: 1.1.7.473 AKA latest downloadable 2020-05-23/today. [Firmware itself dated 2020-04-09]
I also checked that entering step-edit mode while running and hitting a key changes the pitch of the step and it too is working.
Oh, that functionality works fine - it's just that it also plays that note as I press it.

I'm not able to replicate the "hold a step and hit a key" for silent edits you mentioned earlier. Here's a video I recorded showing the behavior I get - https://youtu.be/LbLiVZbEsws. I did it with a MIDI device this time to get us on the same sort of config.

(Also, turning the pitch knob does work as expected, so I do have a usable workaround. It's less intuitive/immediate than what I'd prefer, but, thanks a ton for pointing it out! You got me functional again with the workaround.)

Hey mate, sorry I've taken time to get back to you, but I've for some reason been having troubles getting a clean install of 1.1.7 onto my KSP.  Without going into excessive detail, I've had 1.1.7 on my KSP and don't recall that issue, but I can't be 100% positive.  I'm very sure it will be addressed and taken care of extremely soon though.  I do agree, using the dial is not a great work around but at least we do have that currently.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines