April 19, 2024, 03:20:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi Out from DAW not working  (Read 2181 times)

matt_granular

Midi Out from DAW not working
« on: May 18, 2020, 08:17:17 am »
Hi,

i can´t send any midi out from my DAW (Ableton Live 10.1) to the midi out ports of the Keystep Pro. The Keystep recieves sync, i have checked all midi channels, and when i play directly from the keyboard it works. But it seems there are no midi notes being sent through the keystep from the DAW to my synth. Keystep is recognized in Live, and Track and Sync are on.

sworch

Re: Midi Out from DAW not working
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 06:53:50 pm »
The KSP doesn’t send midi Thru. You can send midi to it but not thru it. Supposed to be coming in a firmware update but I have yet to see this confirmed (BSP never got thru). To me this is a dealbreaker on an otherwise cool sequencer. I can’t imagine how this isn’t implemented. Huge oversight.

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 09:18:08 pm »
I use a midi thru box to distribute midi out from my main controller to KSP and other modules.

johndoe

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 07:38:10 am »
I use a midi thru box to distribute midi out from my main controller to KSP and other modules.

Which one, Kenton something? I've seen some guys using it in some youtube demos, no idea how to set it up with KSP though.

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:51:26 am »
Kenton midi thru boxes are reliable and come with a power supply. If using a DAW as your master clock you would put midi out from that to the midi in of the thru box. One midi out from the thru box to midi in on KSP ( set to midi with switches on the back if you want it to start from your  DAW). Other thru box midi outs would go to synth modules and drum machines etc... that you are controlling or clocking from your DAW.
I personally do not use a DAW and prefer to have all my sequencers, drum machines etc.. master clocked from my Beatstep Pro which has a bigger more readable tempo display than the KSP. The KSP is connected using the SYNC clock out from the BSP to Clock in on the KSP and not using midi - this avoids midi notes from the BSP confusing the KSP sequences

johndoe

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:05:34 pm »
Kenton midi thru boxes are reliable and come with a power supply. If using a DAW as your master clock you would put midi out from that to the midi in of the thru box. One midi out from the thru box to midi in on KSP ( set to midi with switches on the back if you want it to start from your  DAW). Other thru box midi outs would go to synth modules and drum machines etc... that you are controlling or clocking from your DAW.
I personally do not use a DAW and prefer to have all my sequencers, drum machines etc.. master clocked from my Beatstep Pro which has a bigger more readable tempo display than the KSP. The KSP is connected using the SYNC clock out from the BSP to Clock in on the KSP and not using midi - this avoids midi notes from the BSP confusing the KSP sequences

Thank you.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines