April 25, 2024, 12:57:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Installing V Collection Which Drive?  (Read 7835 times)

Rev. Cornelius

• Apprentice
Installing V Collection Which Drive?
« on: May 15, 2020, 12:35:43 am »
I have a laptop that has a 500gb SS "C" drive and a 1TB 7200 rpm standard "D" drive. Which drive should the collection be installed on? The D is ideal as the space is greater, but can it perform correctly as Analog 4 is installed on the "C" drive?

Thanks

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Installing V Collection Which Drive?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:37:11 am »
I'm not sure if V Collection allows you to install on anything but the primary drive on a PC (I don't have a Windows computer so I cannot confirm), but if it does, there's no reason why it shouldn't run well enough on your hard drive. Sure the instruments will take a little longer to load up in your DAW, and sure it'll be slightly slower scrolling through presets in analog lab, but no major drama.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 01:47:29 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

As i'm on Windows i also reply.

AFAIK:

Most of the full install size of V-Collection 7 is on a fixed install path in the hidden Windows ProgramData folder.
VST3 plugins in generel also have a fixed install path.

So the only thing you can change in the install is the standalone application (if you install in a way to allow this) and the VST2 plugins, and that together is less than 1 GB.

So there really is'nt much space to save. I'm not sure if there is a none Arturia solution to move things from the fixed paths.

I would not recommend to install anything on a second drive, but you should not get install issues, if you had your VST2 plugins installed on a second drive, except they perhaps will load slower. But that will only save around ½ GB. So is it worth it?
By setting the install path for the VST2 install in Arturia Sofware Centers preferences to the folder you use you will prevent update and upgrade issues.

Perhaps you have other files that's better to move to a second drive?

I know there is more posts in the forums about this topic.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:00:54 pm by LBH »

Rev. Cornelius

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 07:08:31 pm »
LBH - Thanks for the reply.

I guess I will install the V collection as proscribed like I did during the Analog Lab 4 install. It works fine standalone and as VST plugins in Reaper. I will probably do what I did with Massive is create a folder on the second drive for storing my homemade presets. With Massive it works fine, but will need some time to figure out how AL4 likes to do things.

Thank you,
Rev. C

LBH

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 08:20:39 pm »
Your welcome.

I will probably do what I did with Massive is create a folder on the second drive for storing my homemade presets. With Massive it works fine, but will need some time to figure out how AL4 likes to do things.
The presets and samples in use for Arturias applications is also stored in ProgramData on a fixed path. You can only add subfolders in that path.
Exported presets you can have elsewhere - and backups you should have elsewhere.

Perhaps Arturia one day will make it possible, to install the things that are now installed in ProgramData anywhere you would like it to be. I think that would be good.
I think the preset system require a certain structure to work, as in example the individual applications and Analog Lab share presets. Also user presets have to be located in this structure. I think it's great the applications share presets, as it save work.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 07:23:06 pm »
From the new V-collection 7.2 it's now possible to set a ressource install path in Arturia Software Center (ASC).

mmryspace

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 07:13:21 pm »
From the new V-collection 7.2 it's now possible to set a ressource install path in Arturia Software Center (ASC).

Does this also apply to V-Collection 6? I am asking because I am using V-Collection 6 on Mac OS 10.13.6 and most recent update of Arturia Software Center (ASC) and 
in ASC>My Preferences> Folder > Browse, it gives me the option to relocate. See attached screen cap. So is this possible?

LBH

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 10:26:24 pm »

Does this also apply to V-Collection 6? I am asking because I am using V-Collection 6 on Mac OS 10.13.6 and most recent update of Arturia Software Center (ASC) and 
in ASC>My Preferences> Folder > Browse, it gives me the option to relocate. See attached screen cap. So is this possible?
As a user i'd say it should work. Keep in mind it's allways a good idea to create backups to ensure your own work.

mmryspace

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 11:13:54 pm »

As a user i'd say it should work. Keep in mind it's allways a good idea to create backups to ensure your own work.

Ok, thanks for that advice. Will definitely do a backup before moving.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines