April 19, 2024, 02:51:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep Pro - Possible to set a Sequencer to Send only Max Velocity?  (Read 2414 times)

bobbysteels

• Apprentice
First, I am not a keyboardist. When sequencing a bass line, for example, it would benefit my greatly to have all values sent as max velocity, or perhaps between 100-127 velocity for some nuance.  Is there any way to set parameter brackets for velocity output?  Thanks

dougykeys

• Apprentice
I have the same request going under the features tab.. no responses yet. 

Hello, forgive me if this already is possible...

But could it be possible to set a fixed velocity for the keys?  Especially for the drum tracks, I would like to just set it at max 127 so I don't have to worry about softer drums.  This would also be helpful for using my korg volca bass.  Currently, when playing there is a natural velocity curve.  I did not find a way to alter this under the menus.  If you could make it like yamahas, where you have a few options for velocity curves, and can also set a fixed velocity, that would be helpful.

johndoe

I have the same exact request, need a way to set my bassline on a steady velocity value eg. 100 indeed is a must!

Overand

• Apprentice
This is the sort of thing you can at least edit on a per-step basis, but, if there isn’t a feature for this / for bulk-editing steps (and adjusting the velocity knob), it would be good, yes.

As a workaround, you could probably use a separate keyboard as a controller, set to max velocity? Or, change your synth preset to ignore velocity? Not optimal, but yes.

Andrew Henderson

Re: Keystep Pro - Possible to set a Sequencer to Send only Max Velocity?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 10:12:31 pm »
I noticed this shortcoming the hard way today, in replacing my Novation SL49MKII, with the Keystep Pro.  I had my Novation set to 127 velocity, when playing on the keyboard and this was perfect for triggering stuff at max volume, without me having to worry about how hard I hit the keys.  Upon hooking up the Keystep Pro, I noticed my sample and synth triggering was very quiet, unless I really press down on the keys, hence a louder velocity.  I instantly tried to fix this in the settings and saw no such function, to set velocity to a constant value, like in the Novation.  This REALLY needs to be changed in an update please.  I can't play like this and due to this and other bugs, I have packed the KSP back into its box and went back to my Novation, so I can actually get some work done.

brentmoreland

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 04:22:15 pm »
Before you record a sequence on the KSP (all steps empty), turn the Velocity knob to whatever you want, and then the velocity value will be that for whatever steps you record after that. change it in the middle of recording, and it uses the new values. 

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:34:07 am »
Before you record a sequence on the KSP (all steps empty), turn the Velocity knob to whatever you want, and then the velocity value will be that for whatever steps you record after that. change it in the middle of recording, and it uses the new values.

BIngo!  I was about to mention that.  I need to double check that it works in real-time record though, as I've been punching things in lately.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 12:02:00 am »
[edit] removed unfair velocity related rant [/edit]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 04:29:30 am by synthcreep »

sidechained

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 09:44:54 pm »

This works when adding steps by pressing the sequencer buttons 1-16, sure...but not when live recording from the keyboard...unless I'm missing something? I also would like the option to turn off velocity sensing and just use the current knob value...preferably this should be easily toggleable in the moment, not just a setting in the Utility menu...

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 11:40:45 pm »
You are correct @sidechained, that's how it works.  A toggle for using the knob value while realtime recording and a way to change all steps at once would definitely be welcomed.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 10:27:52 pm »
A workaround for this until (if?) they change this behavior would be to set the velocity curve to logarithmic, so a "softer" touch would reach high velocity more quickly. It can be accessed in the Utility menu under MIDI Settings or via the MIDI Control Center.
This space left intentionally blank.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines