December 04, 2020, 09:28:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: A Couple of Things on My Mind  (Read 441 times)

ClydeLymanAgain

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
A Couple of Things on My Mind
« on: May 14, 2020, 05:07:49 pm »
Before I go any furhter. What aspect of Keyboard is NOT relatede to computer music? The heart of the "arranger" Keyboard is a computer. Atutria has engendered, by virtue of the V Collection" standalones and Analog Lab the predominance of the computer in live performance, making anyone who cares to try, a Do-It-Yourself Vangelis or Jean-Michel Jarre. When I first came across the genre in 1965. The whole thing; note, waveform, envelopes, melody: EVERYTHING was written as one program and punced onto Hollerith cards, Probably in Algol or FORTRAN and fed in. Now, it's call up your virtual instrument, set your controllers and play as spontaneiously as you like

Now to the serious matters -
1. In the next iteration of Pigments, along with the current engines, let me suggest the following. You have or had a person working with both you and Martinic a fellow called "tale" who was a member of the Combo Organ group and who created two freeware vitural instruments: Combo V, the classic Vox and Combo F; the Farfisa "Mini". My idea would be to take the Hammond, Combo V and Combo F sound generators and controllers (drawbars and tabs respectively) and make a Pigments sound engine. This hearkens indirectly to #2

2. I notice that whenever a synth is featured on YouTube, be it by Uproar24, vstplanet, vstoasis, etc. it is always doing the "crazy stuff", which is a lot of fun but is limited. For most of my life,I used the synthesizer to make the sounds of traditional instruments; especially my SQ-80: strings, piano, brass and organ (for which I developed a leslie effect that was quite good: panning the "horns" and simulating the rotor with a somewhat resonant filter) I saved the more "synth-y" sounds for some basses and melodic lines. As a result of this I defined 3 kinds of synthisis "modes"
A. Imitatives Synthesis: generating sounds of the "normal" instruemts, usually for accompaniment and some melodic parts
B. Parametric synthesis. Sounds which were thought of in terms of the parameters rather than "this sounds like a...". this was the "crazy stuff" or as one person put it in the late 1970's "the synthesizer imitating the synthesizer". Still the two-oscillator slightly detuned square wave, the super saw and the "synth pad" have found their way into the ordinary music of the day. Some of the most effective use of the syntnhesizer I've heard was in Brazilian Jazz of the 1990's -- Eat your heart out Xavier Cougat! (the man was a genious. I wonder what he would have done with the Moogs, Korgs and Rolands. Or the V Collection)
C. Impressionistic synthesis: This is a mix of the first two. the patch sounds "sorta" like a standard instrument but not quite, maybe a string ensemble using square waves or a Jazz organ sample; 888000000, articulated like a piano, with the hammer sound on another oscillator. You ger the impression of a particular instrument but it is not quite there. That can be a good deal of fun to use.
Because deonstrations of the early machines of the 1970's often showed the imitative features of the synthesizer to show off it's power and musical credibility as more than just a sound effects device, and because most musicians were not rich and looked for a very versatile instrument, imitative synthesis was very much prized for gigging
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:33:28 pm by ClydeLymanAgain »

ClydeLymanAgain

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: A Couple of Things on My Mind
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 04:29:42 am »
As we approach the release of V Collection 8, I would like to make a suggestion. If we are only going to get ONE organ. I would suggest the Doric 61TT/61Mix  http://www.combo-organ.com/Doric/doric.htm

Here is why. A Combo organ lives on its quick-change artistray, quickly going back and forth between mellow voices for comping and more buzzy or gritty voices for leads. The 61's have it covered in different was. It has 10 tab-activiated voices with the fottages controlled by the "Pieno" push-pull knob. Doric told me, back in '67 that these 4", 4*, 8' and 16', 8' and 4'. I had played a 61TT and liked it. Now the "Mix" variant had an additional feature, Not having played that one, I do not know how it is implemented. But the literature said "Play this [a middle C] and hear this [a C ckhord] and hear it TIWCE!". I suspect it was the same thing as the Vox IV

The 61's did have a weakness. the bass was hard-wired to two octaves, which I am sure Arturia could fix. The volume was keyboard zone controllable via separate knobs. Also knowing how Arturia does a few tweaks, they could probably put the fottages and Mix on separate tabs or sliders, which would give greater control (the Rheem Mk VII had the footages coupled via tabs

All in all, the Doric 61 series was just about ideal for the stage because with very few moves you create very different sounds quite rapidly and the MIX could compete with the Vox, Farfisa and Panther soundwise. The 61TT sound at 16', 8' and 4', fully voiced was very rich. The 4' gave me the SLOOP JOHN B sound and the 8', 4' gave me a colliope sound close to that in RED RUBBER BALL, both of whic I had been looking for. So, if it has to be one, then this is the one to have

MajorFubar

Re: A Couple of Things on My Mind
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 01:12:28 pm »
If we really are close to the release of V Collection 8 then it's about a year too late to ask for a specific instrument :-(
2011 iMac 27" 2012 MBP 13" V Collection 6 Analog Lab 4 KeyLab 88 KeyLab 49 KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines